Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why cant i open any of my documents?

• Please log in to reply

sparkie400

sparkie400

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi,

about a month ago my computer was infected with a virus (with the little virus alert icon in the notification area). i thought it was fixed but recently i tried to open some of my microsoft word documents and none of them will open!! same goes for my excel documents. a window will pop up saying that the document is not available. when i close microsoft word it tries to make changes to the template "normal", which i always cancel or say no to. using yet another virus scan program (AVG Anti-virus) i fount a trojan virus named tracert.exe in my documents folder within a folder named microsoft but it cant delete it.
i think this infection happened when i was infected with the other virus because i dont think i've downloaded anything suspicious since then but i'm not sure since i have not used microsoft word or excel since then. my son has a pc on our home network and by sharing my, my documents folder i can access my files remotely ok, so i dont think the files are corupted! can someone please help me!

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
HI
you can download unlocker from here and it will delete that folder for you
after you download and install it
go to folder that wont delete
then right click it and you will see the unlocker wand
click on wand
click unlock
delete from drop menu and your done

download from here

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Edited by rushin1nd, 08 February 2007 - 04:17 PM.

sparkie400

sparkie400

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi have tried aboev thanks, still get message "file not available" and still cannot access any documents

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you ever had Norton Antivirus installed? If so, look at this possible solution. I'm actually finding this problem a lot in my googling.

I just saw that you are currently in the Malware forum. Let's put a hold on this thread until you get the all-clear from Malware, as the problem may be corrected at that time.

sparkie400

sparkie400

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks you are my saviour!!
I followed your link , and no i dont have norton but it used to run on my machine, searched for "officeav.dll" found it , removed it and now everything is back to normal, i forgot to say that i recently upgraded to office 2003 and everything worked fine until then? : your advice much appreciated .Thankyou!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad we got that fixed :whistling:

Good luck in Malware!