Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptops

• Please log in to reply

Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I need to get a laptop to take to uni later this year, and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which ones are any good?

I'll probably just be using programs like Word and Excel etc. and a basic image viewer (Plus a few games!), but I want something with quite a large capacity that isn't going to slow down all that much. Also, something with a relatively long battery life would be good!

A friend who works with computers recommended that I get a Medion (and avoid Packard Bell like the plague), but searching on the net I found the following comment about a Medion model "...is not a mobility CPU. It's hot, it's a battery eater. Fans slow down after a few minutes. But any video or cpu task put the fans on to full speed." Does anyone know if they're generally like this? Because if so I certainly won't be getting one...

Any advice much appreciated :tazz:

Cheers,

ZarathustraX

Advertisements

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
hi there

looks like your friend is a true friend lol...i wouldnt touch packard bell with a very large pole or even a very large russian lol..... you could try acer or toshiba ...or if youre really rich some of the sony vaio's are good indeed...the best thing to do is shop around as some firms actually do a discount for students

hope this helps and good luck at uni

:tazz: michael

Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Aha - Acer! Yeah that was the other one he suggested: Medion or Acer ;)
Thanks, I'd forgotten that!

Can you recommend any specific models that might do what I need (for a not-too-extortionate price)? I'm just completely lost when it comes to laptops - don't even know what half of the specs mean... :tazz:

Cheers,

ZarathustraX

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What's your budget? What games do you play?

Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Games? Erm...RollerCoaster Tycoon + various expansion packs ; serious oldies like Theme Hospital ; The Sims, but I wouldn't be all that heartbroken if I had to quit that one.

Budget? God, I'm so broke...If I can get away with it, I don't want to have to spend more than about £700-800, but I don't know how realistic that is...basically, I have £500 atm and will have to raise the rest as quickly as possible!

That any help in thinking of a model?

Cheers,

ZarathustraX

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
hmm...acer would be a tough one to recommend.. i personally myself am in the market for a laptop and was looking at a great model for acer http://www.newegg.co...-115-173&depa=3 there and after talking to many people (including the Site Admin) i found that they arent the best products because they break very easy...Dell would be your best choice for a good product at a good price, but if you want top notch IBM delievers the cake....just they also want alot of money :tazz: i would go with a dell for the laptop but if you really want to take the chance go with acer