Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I'm building my first pc . . . nuf said

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi,

I bought a Biostar TForce6100-939 Socket 939 Barebone Kit / AMD Athlon 64 3200+ OEM / 512MB DDR PC3200 (I EXCHANGED IT FOR 2 512Mb TWIN STICKS) / CPU Fan / ATX Mid-Tower Case / 450 Watt Power Supply . . . I just started to put it together so this will be the first of many questions that I'll be asking ('m sorry). The instructions that came with the motherboard are very poor. They consist of one page that explains how to place the CPU and one page that explains how to install the RAM, which are the two easiest things to do. The remainder of 2 pages only point out power headers, but it doesn't say what should be connected to them.

For right now, though, this is my question . . .

All computers that I've seen have an A Drive. I was told that a computer has to have an A Drive and it can't do without one. The kit that I bought didn't include an A Drive. Do I need one in order for the computer to work? I bought a benq DVD/CD read/write, etc, ROM drive. Would that be sufficient to start off with?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Drives A and B are floppy disk drives, drive B is rarely seen these days and even when it was, it was for the old 5.25" drives that are not manufactured anymore. Drive A is optional.

Drive C is the 1st hard drive. This is essential, otherwise you won't be doing much on your computer.

Drives D and upwards can be other hard drives, CD Units, ZIP drives, pen drives, card readers, etc. It can also be different parts of one hard drive as well, each part gets its own drive letter.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi again Neil :whistling:

Thanks for the info. I'll keep moving along without an A drive for now. I'll install one in the future because I like the ease of data input/output that an 4-1/2" floppy provides.

I just put in the CPU, fan/heat sink combo and the RAM. My next step is to connect the motherboard to the case but I haven't looking at the case, brackets, screws, etc, yet. I'm saving that for tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be able to download and burn the drivers to the svcd/vcd burner that I presently have.

Do you know if a data disk of the drivers will work or do I have to leave them in the format they come?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are using a SATA hard drive and windows XP you need a floppy drive to install SATA drivers, if you use Vista or linux you can get away without one but they are handy for fixing computers and cost a couple of quid.

PS dont call it an A drive in geeky company floppy drive will do.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
The SATA drive installation disk is a CD, not a floppy. Does this make a difference? Will I not need a floppy drive because it's on CD?

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
If you have the latest version of XP, service pack 2, the SATA drivers are included. I think XP started including SATA drivers with service pack 1.

I have never had to install SATA drivers seperately.

:whistling:

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Thanks for the info . . .

I have SP2 on my old computer . . . the one that should have been dead a long time ago but is still alive due to a few miracles.

When my new computer is up and running, can I just download and install SP2 for 64-bit from Microsoft or will I need it before it's up and running?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So its 64bit, that might be different ive never installed that one, its not included in sp2 all the time it is on some disks it isnt on others ive never had it on a disk from Microsoft but you can download slipstreamed disks that have the drivers included. You can install sp2 later is its not slipstreamed on the disk it will just download automatically. The sata drivers need to be moved from the CD on to a floppy to install.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I guess I'll have to buy one and install it before I can go much further.

Thanks for your help :whistling: