Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AMD or INTEL ?

• Please log in to reply

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi well im thinking of building a new gaming rig (also a first timer), but i do have a budget.
But im not sure to go with the cheaper AMD or save for a bit and go for a INTEL?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi well im thinking of building a new gaming rig (also a first timer), but i do have a budget.
But im not sure to go with the cheaper AMD or save for a bit and go for a INTEL?

Depends what kind of games are you wanting to play and at what kind of display settings. Do you want to be able to play all games on HIGH settings and do you want the faster processor series? Do you want to be able to play the newer dx10 games at high settings when for example Crysis the game comes out?

If you want the best cpu for gaming then look at Intel's core 2 duo Conroe series... The E6600 is the best bang for the buck at around $315 generally for the processor..

Amd's is alittle bit cheaper but isnt fast as the Intel Conroe Series.

If you want to play at high settings on games then look into a directx10 video card such as the nvidia 8800 series.. Ati will be releasing their next video card within a couple months and it will beat the 8800's..

IF you want to use directx10 then you will have to buy the new Windows Vista and you will have to wait a few months before a directx10 game comes out.

It all depends on your budget aswell like you said. Listing your budget would help out alot aswell..

2gb of ram is recommended especially if you use windows vista. If you want to play any new games at high settings on either windows xp or Vista operating system you will need 2gb of ram for it to be utterly smooth gameplay..

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
yea well my budget at the moment is ok to buy a adequate gaming rig, but after reading your reply im going to save up for a intel core duo rig.
whats a good sli motherboard? cheap and expensive?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well CPU wise the current CPUs will be replaced in the summer with newer quad cores from intel and AMD(they look immense but might be later than summer) AMDs are cheaper and the motherboards compatible with the new chips that are going to be released this year.
And games aren't hugely cpu intensive unless you get the best graphics card its not going to be a massive difference because the graphics card will be the slowest part, also dont get SLI at least not intentionally SLI is for mugs or people with super high res monitors so if you dont fall into either category dont go and get a mobo just for that.

While the core 2s are the best if you can afford one(the mobos cost more as well which is a factor and to be honest they aren't as good as the AMDs feature wise for the price but AMDs are cheaper to make so they spend more on extras) then its no huge loss as they will only be the best for another 3 or 4 months.

If all you can afford is an AMD just get one they are still excellent when it comes to games, they cant compete on encoding tasks but games they hold there own well enough and are easier to upgrade later. If you are going to be waiting more than a month or two then it will be a very different system so i would just shop around now then come back then when the new hardware is released and stuff is cheaper and you have more cash on hand. If its going to be a couple of weeks just get the best you can afford if you have to go for AMD in order to afford a DX10 card then thats what i would recommend if its intel or a DX9 card that wouldn't be as good. I would probably wait till ATI release there DX10 cards.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
wow thanks alot that has really changed my mind, yea i have been shopping around and the amd mobo's are [bleep] of alot better then the intel boards. Yea im thinking of getting a good mobo and stick with my GeForce 6600Gt till the prices drop on the 8800's. Definately not going for sli now!!
Problem is dont know what mobo to go for?

Can you recommend a good AMD mobo?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Anything MSI,Abit or gigabyte lots of good ones for AMD only i as a rule stay away from asus and the really cheap brands like biostar and foxconn.

If you allready have a PCI-e video card and are one a budget cheap AM2 systems are a good upgrade path for the future the motherboards are as much as £100 less and the chips are cheap so you can get a decent speed the prices have really been slashed you can get an Fx62 for £280 now and they are still excellent for gaming. I would get an ATI r600 rather than an 8800 as they will be the reason for the price drops even the prototypes were way better than released 8800s.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
what do you think about this mobo??

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its good DFI are great but it uses the older nforce 4 chipset which is great(good for overclocking probably why they use it) but there are newer nforce 5 based motherboards you might want to try looking at they cost about the same.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
do you think its better investing in a socket AM2 or can i stick to the socket 939?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

do you think its better investing in a socket AM2 or can i stick to the socket 939?

Well if you are going with amd you need to get socket AM2. They dont produce socket 939 chips anymore and the new quad core chips will not be in socket 939. AM2 is what you want if you go with amd because you wanted future upgradability didnt you? Dont even think about going socket 939 in my opinion.

Advertisements

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for that!!im going to look for a socket AM2 mobo.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whats your current specs, if you allready have a 939 system unless you are using a sempron CPU it will last a while you could just hold onto it till you have more money if you keep the 6600GT its allready the slowest part of your system now the new one wont perform in games any better than it allows, but what is the spec of the PC now.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah it all depends. If you Upgrade to a AM2 yes you should really upgrade your video card aswell soon or very soon after you get it. Probably waiting for the new ati cards to be released would be the best time to buy a video card. It wouldnt hurt to go ahead and get an AM2 then in a couple months time get a high end ati video card or a 8800 series since the prices will be going down.

If you already have a pretty good socket 939 cpu right now that supports pci express then yes you could keep that for awhile like warriorscott is suggesting and just get a high end 8800 series or a high end ati when they are released.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
well im thinking of selling my old gaming rig and buy this second hand rig for very cheap.

CPU: AMD AM2 3600+ X 2
MOBO: MSI K9N NEO
RAM: 2 X 512 MB DDR2 533 dual channel
HDD: 160G seagate HDD
DVD DRIVE: pioneer dvd re-writer
GPU: 7600GS PCI-E video card 128MB ddr3, (1400MHz, 2 X dvi, max support 2048*1536 )

I really think its a steal!
what do you think??
im getting it for about ($800 New Zealand Dollars)
(which i think is about 250-300 pounds)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
For a stricly gaming system, why not go with a 939 socket AMD? Multi-core CPUs do nothing for gaming. There are also some amazing deals to be had on single-core 64-bit AMD CPUs. Sure the upgrade path is limited, but you can also use cheaper DDR memory. With the money you save, invest in a better video card. It's the most important component for a gaming system.