Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can access internet, but can't locate server

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Note: I'm entering this from my work computer and Phil from Geeks staff had me do the following to fix the problem:

How to flush out old DNS entries on your computer:

1. Open the start menu and click on the Run icon.

2. In the "Run" dialog box type in command then click OK.

3. This should open up a black box with a command line, if not make sure you spelled "command" correctly.

4. At the command line type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.

5. You should get a confirmation that says "Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache"

6. If you don't get this confirmation double check your spelling of "ipconfig /flushdns".

Renewing your IP address in WinXP, Win2000, or WinNT

Go to START > RUN > type in CMD > hit ENTER

At the prompt, type in cd\ > hit ENTER

At the prompt, type in ipconfig /release > hit ENTER

At the prompt, type in ipconfig /renew > hit ENTER

Wait for about 10 to15 seconds, after which you can close the window. Then, open your internet browser

NB. If you still do not have internet access, try restarting your computer and opening your internet browser again.

Here's my results:

Got through the first 6 steps to "Flush", but had the following error when "Renewing" : after steps CMD & cd\ when I input ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew got the following error message:

Windows IP config. (followed by)
No operation can be preformed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Phil's responce:

The error message your are getting from renewing your IP address is because it is not connected. It is asking to be connected in order to find a new IP address from your ISP.

He also suggested that I post a topic in the Browser and email forum....so here I am, asking for help.....Thx

Edited by Don Stewart, 13 February 2007 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Here is what Earthlink said to resolve my problem (I have my doubts), which I will try once I get home.

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools > Internet Options. Click Advanced in the top right corner. Down at the bottom, click Restored Defaults. Now, please click on "Programs" at the top. Down at the bottom, click on "Reset web settings". Click on "Privacy" at the top > click on Advanced at the bottom. Select "Override automatic cookie handling". Select "Accept" under First-party cookies and Third-party cookies. Select "Always allow session cookies". Click on OK. Click on General in the top left corner. Click on Delete Cookies / Clear History. Click on OK.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
FYI,

Earthlink suggested fix did not work.....still looking for help!

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Is it still saying media state media disconnected when you do an ipconfig?

Edited by millerman996, 12 February 2007 - 03:20 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Sorry for the delay, but yes this is the message I get:

No operation can be preformed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok Don, sorry for the delay also but usually for a media state disconnected error it is something with either the ethernet cord or even the ethernet adapter within the pc. Try using a different ethernet cord and see what happens.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,130 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.