Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

Aku Aku

Aku Aku

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

I'm always hearing that a great way to improve Windows performance is to disable unnecessary services. I heard that Windows by default sets itself up as if it were in a pc on an office network.

My pc is just a home entertainment center that I use for pretty usual activities (web browsing, vnc, p2p, video editting and so forth) its not part of a network although I do connect to my modem through a LAN cable.

If someone could spare a few minutes to show me (and hopefully others running similar services in similar situations) what services I can safely disable then I'd be really grateful. I've seen so many conflicting websites that contradict each other. Perhaps someone can simply offer some rules to go by when experimenting with disabling services?

ps. hv attached a txt file with a list of my services, if someone can explain what the debug stuff is at the end of it that would be amazing

Attached Files

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You really need to read this elder geeks pages on services and determine for your self just what you need and don't need.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
The Elder Geek is great! I found that information to be very useful. When working with "Services," it is helpful to know what the Settings mean.

Automatic- The Service starts with Windows and runs continuously in the background.

Disabled- The Service is not available at any time until the user goes back and changes the status.

Manual- The Service does not start with Windows, but remains available to be started by activity of the user or the system if the service is required for the task requested.

Manual is the "safe" setting. I do have a few Sevices Disabled. I have a lot of Services set to Manual. Good thing too. When I got a new mouse, Windows began starting one of the Services that were set to Manual--I needed it for proper function of this mouse. If I had had it disabled, I would have likely thought that the mouse was the problem. When Manual Services are started by Windows because I need them at boot, I go back and change them to Automatic.

Good luck, and please post back with your progress.