Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battlefield 2 punkbuster

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

EricksonB83

EricksonB83

• Pip
  • 5 posts
SOMEONE,

I just installed Windows Vista. Now my battlefield 2 will load but when attempting to play the game punkbuster kicks me off b/c of an "Inadequate O/S privileges". How do i combat this? Its very fustrating.
Please reach me at
Email address removed.
Thank you,
Bruce Erickson

Please do not post your email address in open forum, you'll likely end up with much more mail then you intended to get. :whistling:

Edited by OwNt, 08 February 2007 - 07:43 PM.

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Vista is NOT a supported OS for this game.

System requirements

:whistling:

Edited by -=blaster=-, 08 February 2007 - 07:59 PM.

EricksonB83

EricksonB83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, So the new upgraded version of windows cannot run BF2? Am I SOL? or is there a fix so i can run battlefield 2 using VISTA?

Thanks ..
Bruce

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Vista will run BF2, it's just that punkbuster needs access to certain files on your system and Vista is not allowing that. Hopefully, evenbalance will issue a patch for Vista.

:whistling:

EricksonB83

EricksonB83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
And judging by your response, there is nothing i can download at this giving time? Man thats annoying.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
If you right click the shortcut on the desktop, choose "compatability mode" and try running as "Windows XP". I'm not certain on this as I don't have BF2 on my Vista laptop, but it's something to try. Make sure you are admin when you play too, but another thing - it's likely to be Vista's security crap now. I think it's stupid, although from a biased view, apple do too!

Funny, too; http://www.apple.com/getamac/ (choose security) :whistling:.

EricksonB83

EricksonB83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i dont understand how to get to "compatability mode" thru vista. I don't have that option or i am in the wrong place.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
This is a how-to on XP, I'll look on my laptop again later...

Posted Image

Edited by SuperSam, 10 February 2007 - 03:20 PM.

EricksonB83

EricksonB83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is another question, related to BF2 but unrelated to punkbuster. I just dlowed the Armored Fury and the other expansion pack verson of BF2 from digital locker. Now when i go into Digital locker and try to play it...an error message comes up and says i need to first dlow the game. How can i combat this so i can play the 2 expansion packs?
thank you..

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Not this error again happens soo much. You have to change the priveledges of your user so that punkbuster can browse your files or something. I had this error with Windows XP and you had to change some user security settings. Try making you the owner of the computer so that you can edit, delete, move system files and stuff. This should work I really hope they dont release another patch as it will be another 500mb download it annoyes me soo much it takes 2 hours to actually play the game online with decent servers. haha i like thouse mac adverts there quite funny, The only problem is that they make it soo the person thinks windows does all thouse things but they can be turned off and still have them same security or you could just clikc "always allow" :whistling:

Back to the problem on XP there are page long tutorials on the internet about it but i found one for vista. Heres a quote from a website who were testing Vista in the beta stages but it should be the same.

"Battlefield 2 We ran Battlefield 2 in both its native unpatched state and with the latest 1.3 patch; both seemed to work just fine. But one significant gotcha crept up several times in our testing: PunkBuster. The PunkBuster anti­cheating code is a common part of many online games (particularly shooters), and it works by scanning game files to make sure they’re not compromised. Most Battlefield 2 servers have PunkBuster enabled: When we joined one, we were promptly kicked out of the game with a message indicating PunkBuster had failed owing to “inadequate OS privileges.”
The solution, however, is simple enough: Right-click the BF2 icon, choose Properties, and then in the Compatibility tab check the box that reads “Run this program as an administrator.” After doing this we encountered no problems joining any server."

http://www.pctipsbox...and-your-games/

Edited by rumble291, 26 February 2007 - 07:10 PM.

silaoua

silaoua

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For what it's worth, I got booted by Punkbuster after I updated BF2 with the 1.41 patch, but have been able to play with an unpatched version. I'm the Home version of Vista on a VAIO laptop.

Edited by silaoua, 24 January 2009 - 06:16 PM.

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
This thread is from almost 2 years ago.

silaoua

silaoua

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had come across this thread (indeed, this whole forum) by searching on Yahoo on how to solve this problem, and posted the solution I found just in case some other folks put "Punkbuster", "o/s", "Battlefield", and "2" into a search engine and got this site. If that's bad forum manners, I apologize.

Edited by silaoua, 24 January 2009 - 06:53 PM.