Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Earthlink Total Access

• Please log in to reply

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Since I got my system cleaned up following every step of GtG's recommendations, I am loathe to add more stuff to my machine -- especially if it looks like it is keeping tabs on me.

Yahoomail is really ticking me off, so I am ready to make the leap and change my e-mail address (after 8+ years)... I switched from Yahoo DSL to Earthlink's dsl because I have a neighbor with a T1 liine and I am far enough away from whatever station thingy that the resistance (ohms, right?) in the wires was not giving me anywhere near dsl speed. At least Earthlink's superfast Covad lines give me something close to regular dsl speed.

I feel like I am in a very old Star Trek episode cast as McCoy -- "[bleep], Jim, I'm a doctor, not an IT whiz"

:whistling: Anyone have any thoughts on the relative safety of installing this stuff?

Advertisements

JesseBassett

JesseBassett

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Earthlink is just like any other Internet Service Provider (ISP). I think it's safe.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the safety of installing "stuff" depends on the stuff...as a general rule of thumb...only install things that you are absolutely sure are what they say they are....only install the programs you need...and if y ou don't need them anymore uninstall them...make sure you've got a good antivirus program, a good (well configured) firewall, and at least one good antispyware program...and keep EVERYTHING updated regularly...and just practice common sense