Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data recovery problem

• Please log in to reply

jake_us9

jake_us9

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran Windows Vista upgrade from Windows XP Pro. Many files had corrupted away with no error code leaving only void folders behind. It seemed to not discriminate based on size or location. To be safe, when I removed Vista I repartitioned all drives involved in running the OS so I thought I wouldn't lose any more, but I lost my entire data. Unfortunately I cannot provide very much technical information about this issue to assist in tracking the problem. Please help me.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
regrettably, jake, formatting the drive where your data was stored has at best made it inaccessible, and at worst destroyed most of it. You should have received a warning about this when you used the FORMAT command: "Warning, formatting the drive will destroy all data. Are you sure?".

There are software utilities which claim to be able to recover data after a format, one such is here:

http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

You can discover many more of them by typing "data recovery" into a search engine such as Google.

Edited by pip22, 09 February 2007 - 06:36 AM.

diego_in5

diego_in5

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have lost the old system XP by a third party dual boot system. The other files were OK and chkdsk has till now repaired the partitions. When I tried installing vista I even lost my entire data. This was really getting into my nerves. But on Internet while I was surfing I found Salvage Data Recovery software. It worked well and got my almost ninety percent of data. The only thing I couldn’t figure was: why this data was lost and how these software manages to get the data back. Then too I lost little data. But I can compromise with that caz getting more than ninety percentages of data is also a big achievable thing. I guess you must also give a try to this software.