Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling xp pro to a partition !

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,,
Have decided to do a fresh install of windows, as i have just added a second, larger harddrive, and think its about time i did a fresh install.
The pc is an Compaq Presario, and the c drive is split into ,c and d ,,, D being the small partition holding the operating system, in this case xp home.

I have my original xp pro disc from my previous pc and would like to install this , instead of using the HP recovery discs, as they have a lot of crap on their install.

Question is,,,, Can i format the D partition, and then install xp pro onto the newly formatted D partition, without losing any data on the rest of the drive ??????

Will there be any conflict with xp pro being the fresh install, when the pc was previously using xp home ???

I cant see there being any problems doing it this way,,, but would like some re assurance from the people in the know !!!!

Many thanks in advance. kev.

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Anyone !!

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I to have a Compaq Presario and know pretty well the D drive. Once you create the backup disks, Compaq gives you the option to delete the partition, its somewhere in the manual... Thing is, i dont know if it delets it if it well merger the old D drive with the C drive to give it more space. What you could do is install WINDOWS onto the new drive and use a dual boot option, backup all your files from XP HOME and then delete the OS and keep XP PRO.

-OCM770-

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The setup on your MS XP pro CD allows you delete partitions and create new ones. It will then automatically format the new partition before installing XP pro on it. Your data on the other partitions will NOT be affected at all, even if they are on the same physical disk. Each drive letter is treated separately when you delete or re-format.

Installing XP Pro should not be a problem. However, you should be aware that the 'proper' discs for that PC (The HP Recovery Discs) contain not only the operating system but also contain the correct device drivers required for the integrated sound and video controllers on the HP computer. These are unlikely to be on your MS XP Pro CD.

Quite likely then, after installing XP pro, either the sound won't work or the video settings will be 'fixed' at a low setting which you can't change because Windows has had to use it's own basic driver.

To remedy this you'll need to go to the HP website, specify your model number and download the proper drivers.

Of course, none of that applies if you've fitted your own video-card and/or sound-card from another manufacturer.

Edited by pip22, 11 February 2007 - 05:50 AM.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks folks,,,,

I have upgraded the video card and soundcard on the pc, so i shouldnt have to go hunting for drivers if i go ahead and do this.

So ,,, in effect,, i can reformat ( not delete ) the small D partition with the os on it, and then install xp pro onto the newly formatted partition without losing ant data whatsover on the C partition, or my second E drive ???
The D partition is 5.99 GB in use, and 2.58GB free,,,,,, is this enough to install xp pro ?? not sure if home edition is a smaller os than pro ??

Many thanks ,,, kev.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The barebones requirement for XP pro is 1.5gb
Keep in mind that there will be some programs that will need to be installed on the main drive.