Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Deleting Files Off Computer

• Please log in to reply

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello geeks,

I am having the most difficult time deleting the contents of the AVG FREE folder. Uninstall fails, and so does trying to delete them from the finder screen. When attempting to delete from the finder window, an error msg pops up saying that the file is being used by another program(but I highly doubt this because the program won't run, which is why I want it off the computer in the first place...).

I have tried everything I can think of, but certainly there is a way to manually delete files, right? Maybe some command line function? I just don't know how to do it. Will someone please help?

Thanks!

oOps

Edited by oOpsicle, 09 February 2007 - 09:08 AM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have a look at this: http://www.geekstogo...TE-t102531.html

If that doesn't help, please post back.

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I tried both programs suggest:
(1) Moveonboot; and
(2) Unlocker

Neither program worked.

The error:
"Failed: data error: cyclic redundancy check||"

oOps

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I tried to delete in the system command prompt, but with the same results. Most files came back with accessed denied, but avgset.dll came back with "Data error: cyclic redundancy check"

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try seeing if you can get AVG reinstalled properly, then use the new uninstall link from the program.

The free AVG is here.

Ron

oberlisc

oberlisc

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Try this mate i found it can work wonders and there is a custom setting so you can only delete what you want.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

do you see it running in task manager under the processes ?

cheers...xxx1

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Okay.

I have tried re-installing AVG Free, but without success.

I used the CCleaner to remove all but one file in the AVG Free Folder: avgset.dll.

And AVG is not running in my task manager....

Something strange happened when I used CCleaner to custom remove the files in AVG's folder. It removed all but the avgset.dll file, but when I checked the contents of the folder, I noticed a new file had been created. It was named "zzzzzzz.zzz"; I was able to rename it to "zzzzzzz.txt" and then delete it with CCleaner. However, I can not rename or delete the avgset.dll file.

What else can I try. There must be some way to get rid of a single file, right?

Thanks for the help so far!!!

oOps

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
There must exist a more extreme solution to deleting problem files.

I'll try anything short of a baseball bat to the hd.

oOps

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try to unregister the .dll first. Click Start, Run..., type in regsvr32.exe avgset.dll /u. Note the spaces between the three parts.

Then try to delete it.

Advertisements

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Linda,

I entered "regsvr32.exe avgset.dll /u" into run command. The following error occurred: "LoadLibrary("avgset.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found."

Did I do something wrong?

oOps

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
No, I don't think so. I wasn't sure the unregister command would work, but I was hoping....

Did you already try booting into Safe Mode and logging in as Administrator (unless you set a password when you loaded Windows, there probably isn't one).

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am familiar with this problem. Avg Gets corrupted for some reason or another and you can't remove or reinstall it whatever you do. I tried everything that I could think of including cleaning the registry of all AVG traces. Nothing worked. I simply had to abandon AVG.

Eventually I just left the undeletable file where it is, dormant, causing no harm, installed Avast! (free) as my antivirus and never looked back. Since It happened to me a number of time I gave up on AVG.

oberlisc

oberlisc

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Dont know if you have tried this but why not contact Grisoft who release AVG they might have a solution to the problem if as The Skeptic has said if happens all the time.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have the free edition of AVG you are not entitled to technical support. You must make do with "frequently asked questions".