Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows XP with AMD Athlon 64 bit processor

• Please log in to reply

cmeasy

cmeasy

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Here is a link to Microsoft that talks about my problem.

http://support.micro...0760/#appliesto

a friend of mine replied with this answer, OK. I read the article and it was just as I suspected. We need to
supply the
HAL driver for the AMD processor during setup. This is the "Wintel"
relationship I was talking about. If the laptop had a Intel chip then
it
would work just fine but Microsoft makes it harder for the AMD
processor
since it is in competition with Intel.

But I don't know how to get the HAL driver, would it be on the DVD HP provided for reinstallation of XP?
If so, what driver would I tell it to install?

Any idea's, thanks! I've had this computer for over two weeks, and need to get back to the owner.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if HP provided a system recovery disk...then it should have everything needed to return t he computer back to factory defaults....did you change processors in the system or something? why are you reinstalling?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....also....you would need the 64bit version of xp...unless i'm horribly mistaken

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
the OS had a problem when their son had tried to install a game or something, and it wouldn't boot into the OS, either regular or safe mode, so I just figured to reinstall the OS using the recovery CD sent with the system by HP.

It gets to the point where it is reinstalling the os, says setup Windows but then nothing. like the Microsoft link I included.

I am able to install 98, ME but anything that using NTFS, Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP just hangs at that place during setup

The recover cd doesn't say 64 bit version, just Windows XP Pro SP2 on the disc.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I read the article and it was just as I suspected. We need to
supply the
HAL driver for the AMD processor during setup. This is the "Wintel"
relationship I was talking about. If the laptop had a Intel chip then
it
would work just fine but Microsoft makes it harder for the AMD
processor
since it is in competition with Intel.

What rubbish. You need no special drivers for a processor. Read the article again, the problem is caused by the wrong mass-storage (SATA) driver, an old BIOS revision or something it doesn't like about the board. In the last case, press F7 when it asks you to press F6.

Having used XP setup with a 64 bit processor AMD for a while now, I see no problems at all. it's more than likely your DVD provided by HP has been BIOS-locked and is falling over because it can't see the original board.

But I don't know how to get the HAL driver, would it be on the DVD HP provided for reinstallation of XP?

You don't need one. Press F5 on the "setup is inspecting your hardware configuration" message. You can then select the one you need. If it doesn't work on "Standard PC", its most likely an issue with the board.

Edited by Neil Jones, 09 February 2007 - 04:57 PM.

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
As my other posts say, I've tried the F5 key with using all the options shown, with no luck. I've also tried the F7 instead of F6, and don't see anything differently being done. It still goes to the same point and hangs at the same point.

It's just odd that it installed ME and 98 no problem, I've completely reformatted the drive, put in a brand new drive, either using the restore disk, or a retail version of XP Pro, it always hangs up at the same place.

Thanks, but still looking for the answer. Now, is it possible a BIOS update might fix the issue? I can't get any help from HP without paying for tech support from them. Tried the board at AMD, DSL Reports and a few other places besides geekstogo.

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
This is the original board that was in the system, so how would the DVD be BIOS locked? I haven't heard of that possiblity before.

Having installed 98 and ME with no issues, it doesn't seem like a problem with the motherboard, something that is in Windows 2000 and Win XP that is causing the issue, as it does the same thing with those OS install attempts.

Any way to "unlock" the BIOS reading this DVD? It is the original DVD restore that came with the system.

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've got no reply's on this, no one has any idea of what else to try?

thanks!!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I am able to install 98, ME but anything that using NTFS, Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP just hangs at that place during setup

The recovery cd doesn't say 64 bit version, just Windows XP Pro SP2 on the disc.

Dsenette said the recovery disk has to be a 64 bit version of windows. Micro$oft agrees. :whistling: I would imagine that is true, too, for Win 98/ME. Somewhere therein may lay (lie?) your problem(s) since you were able to install these on a Windows XP 64-bit machine.

These might be useful links for you:

1) HAL Driver search at Micro$oft
2) HAL Options

Ron

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I will look into getting a 64 bit version of Windows XP to install and try.

this machine doesn't have a floppy drive, so the only way to get the OS installed is through the cdrom drive.

this is the CDROM that came from HP for this drive, so I would imagine it is 64 bit, but maye HP sent the wrong DVD with the wrong OS to install.