Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAPTOP RUNNING BUT NO SCREEN ON LAPTOP

• Please log in to reply

mscobra

mscobra

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I HAVE A TOSHIBA SATELLITE M-55-S139. I RECEIVED AN ERROR ON A BLUE SCREEN: SYSCAN.EXE. I SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER AND REBOOTED AND IT WORKED FINE FOR A FEW DAYS, BUT NOW I GET NO SCREEN AT ALL AND CAN'T EVEN BOOT TO THE RECOVERY CD...THE COMPUTER IS RUNNING AND ALL LIGHTS ARE ON AND IT MAKES BEEPING SOUNDS ON A KEY PRESS, BUT THAT ALL IT DOES.
ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET THE RECOVERY CD TO SHOW ON THE SCREEN?
I HAVE A DELL DESKTOP AND THIS HAPPENED TO THIS ONE ALSO, BUT AT LEAST THE RECOVERY CD WORKED..THESE TWO COMPUTERS ARE SEPARTED AND ONLY CONNECTED TO ONE PHONE LINE. I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW I COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE SAME ERROR ON BOTH COMPUTERS..

Edited by mscobra, 09 February 2007 - 11:38 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Does the screen come on at all when the laptop is very first powered on or does it stay blank the entire time?

If its blank the entire time, then try this:

1. check the brightness/contrast settings for the screen (press Fn + F7 keys together to increase brightness)
Also try the Fn+F5 keys - this will cycle through the different display modes. i.e switches between the laptops screen/external monitor/TV output etc

2. Try connecting an external monitor to the laptop to see if you get a picture on that. (You may need to use the Fn+F5 keys again)

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Ignore this post - made a mistake, sorry for cutting in Sam.

Edited by SuperSam, 09 February 2007 - 05:12 PM.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks for the reply!
But it's still not working!!!

Ok, I hooked up another monitor and everything worked, except the laptop monitor. Using the fn-f5 keys made no difference. However, I was able to dump and re-install the complete system. That worked for about 15 minutes, then the laptop screen went black again, I re-hooked up the default monitor again and downloaded the Display Drivers from the recovery cd. this Worked!! for awhile anyway,on Saturday and Sunday,then I picked the laptop up on Monday night to download some up dates and I had the black screen again.? hooked up the other monitor, and tried to download the drivers again, but this time it didn't work. I even got the new Bio's download from Toshiba, and that didn't help either. It's funny that the default monitor that I am using works but LCD screen doesn't. Could this be the inverter or back light?? I'm really not looking forward to purchasing and installing a motherboard if this is the problem.. By the way, this laptop is only 14 months old. thanks for any help you could give me.

Edited by mscobra, 15 February 2007 - 12:41 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmm, weird!
If there is some sort of picture on the laptops built in screen but it is just very dark, then it's probably the backlight.
Failing that it could be the inverter or the cable that connects the screen to the rest of the laptop internally. Or it could simply be a dodgy connection somewhere else in the screen.

Is the laptop still under warranty?

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Nope unfortuately it is not under warranty..But really barely used in the 14 months of ownership, I kind of figured it was the inverter, but wasn't sure. Guess I'll try and replace the inverter and see what happens.
Thanks for not telling me to pitch the laptop as other forum moderators told me to do. thanks for the help also..

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome :whistling:

Let us know how you get on