Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP repair

• Please log in to reply

gsears

gsears

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have this user's laptop that gets a blue screen that flashes so quickly I can't read it. I was trying a tip from here that showed how to reinstall windows xp without losing data. OF course my user has files that are not backed up anyhwere.

I am at the point that says:

a \windows folder already exists that may contain a windows installation. if you continue, the existing windows installation will be overwritten.

all files, subfolders, user accounts, applications, security and destop settings for that windows installation will be deleted. the "My Documents" folder may also be deleted.

HEEEEEELP!!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

gsears

gsears

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am going through this process from the link that you forwarded....THANK YOU by the way.
After screen six I get a screen that says

the following list shows the exisiting partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

use the up and down arrow keys to select an item int eh list.

to set up windows xp on the selected item, press enter.
to create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press c.
to delete the selected partition, press d

57232 mb disk 0 at id 0 on bus 0 on atape [mbr]

c: partition1 [ntfs] 57232 mb (47188 mb free)

enter=install d=delete partition F3=quit

If I enter am I going to lose all the info, users, my documents, etc???? :whistling:

gsears

gsears

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
PS....THANK YOU!!!!!