Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not showing files on ANY discs

• Please log in to reply

ladymalice

ladymalice

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So my neighbor asks me to come look at her PC, she says the "cd drive" isnt working. I'm no computer expert but am pretty good at troubleshooting basic problems so I tell her I'll give it a look. Well it has me baffled and i'm hoping to get some help here.

Here is what it IS doing. DVDRW drive, opens/closes, I can hear it spinning, windows recognizes the drive and that there is a disc in it BUT won't load whats on it, and when I explore, nothing comes up in the window. In properties it tells you how much of the disc is used/free, but it wont show whats on it! Tried with several different discs, burned ones, retail programs, picture discs, and music cd. With the music cd I can get the music to play if I run it with WMP, but that was ALL I could get it to do, even WMP wouldnt show a list of the songs on the disc, it just played the music.

Here is what I tried. Tested another CD drive, to be sure it wasnt the drive. Same issues existed with new drive. Updated drivers for the DVDRW drive, updated windows. Searched online for similar probelms and found none.

Here is what I know. Custom built PC, running brand new (less than 3 months old) retail version of winXP fully updated.

I'm hoping this is just something as silly as a setting somewhere so I can help her out.

Thanks in advance for any info!
~Malice

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Uninstall it completely from device manager. Shut down and power off the comp. Turn back on and allow it to find and install "new hardware".

See if that works.