Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Disk Drive Problems! What to do?

• Please log in to reply

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello =) I am having a few problems with my PC mainly the Hard Disk..
sorry if its in the wrong section of the forums

Well this morning I got 512 MB Ram (PC133 SDRAM if that helps) and I put it in and booted up. My PC was working fine and then after a few hours I turned it off. When I turned it back on later, It started beeping and saying "CPU Fan not connected" or something similar. This happened before, many times but I usually got around it somehow. I fiddled with the wires around the CPU Fan and then after around 20 minutes it loaded up, sort of. It got to the screen where it tells you what your Primary and Secondary and all that stuff is.. Usually the 1st thing was my Maxtor hard disk but it said None. It still detected my Phillips DVD R/W thing though. After, It would say "Boot from Atapi Disc: no disk something: please insert system disc" something like that. It's been around an hour and i've been messing around with the wires trying to make it work but no luck. Just a minute ago on this computer I am using atm, I got the not working hard disk and I tried to plug it in on here. When I plugged it in on here, I got a message saying "NTLDR is missing, CTRL ALT DEL to restart". I plugged the main HD back in and it gave me that error again, and 1 more restart and it worked as it used to. I have no clue what to do now, I dont know if my hard disk is messed up or not, if i have to get a new one or just get a new wire or something.

Thought i'd ask for help here, Hope I get a reply ^^

So: What shall I do?!

O.O It just set itself on fire.. I booted up and a huge flame came out then it started smoking and i turned it off.. Guess it's screwed? Think the mobo is messed up?? Anyone got an idea as to why this could have happened.. =( There's no way I can recover files, right?

UPDATE: just thought i'd add only the harddisk was on fire/smoking

Thanks in Advance,
Stealth

Edited by StealthSoul, 09 February 2007 - 02:22 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The motherboard is almost certainly "screwed" as you put it. Don't mess with it anymore! Unplug it from the mains supply. Remove the hard disk and optical-drive as they might be okay. Fit the hard disk as a slave to a working PC (if you can find anyone who'll let you near their PC -- maybe someone who doesn't know you too well or is one sandwich short of a picnic) and you may be able to copy the data of it if it hasn't been damaged.

Edited by pip22, 09 February 2007 - 01:07 PM.

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Any way to check if the mobo is ok? :/ I hope thats not damaged aswell..

The hard disk was not actually inside the case, I took it out and handled with it on the table, it was the only thing smoking.

I haven't touched it since, and i've kept it unplugged. What's the Optical Drive?

Edited by StealthSoul, 09 February 2007 - 02:23 PM.