Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buy a mac

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hey where can macs be bought and when should i buy one(the newest os out yet)

ANy help apperciated

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
www.apple.com and apple stores, just make sure they are what you need you do pay a premium for them.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
You can buy them from some computer shops but there usually the same price and take about the same days to deliver if not in stock. If you ring up Apple you can get some extras thrown in most of the time.

equinox55

equinox55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
what kinda extras

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
like Apple care and stuff not that great but sometimes you can get the faster macs a little bit cheaper.

RacrBilly

RacrBilly

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yea Apple store or Apple.com and MAC OS X Leopard is not out yet so if you were wanting that OS you will have to wait a little bit. I don't know when it comes out but you can see previews of it on apple.com.

equinox55

equinox55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I have to save my money any ways lol so i will have to wait

Davis

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you cant afford mac you would be better with a normal PC they don't actually use any different hardware for the extra price they do cost more than PCs.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
you can make a PC a mac if you search OSx86 on google its illegal but its cheaper than a mac :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
If you're looking for a (cheap) desktop apple computer, get a Mac Mini. I got one last christmas and I really LOVE the thing. You can hook it up to your existing monitor, mouse keyboard, speakers etc. Mac mini starts at I think $599. If you want to spend more, get an Imac.

And think about it: do you want to pay (just a little bit) less and get a windows machine with [bleep]ous malware and virus problems? or pay a little bit more and NEVER EVER have to deal with malware again?

having a mac is so much better than a pc because you can really concentrate on your work, you don't have to deal with malware and virus annoyances.

Edited by emery, 17 February 2007 - 09:17 AM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
if you have proper software, a PC is just as safe as a Mac, as long as you don't do anything stupid like use illegal P2P software...

In fact, a PC is actually safer than a Mac in some respects, as Macs have never had to deal with many viruses, so they don't have some of the security features that PCs do. If some virus-coder decided to make a virus for a Mac (not hard, just much less effective than a PC virus, because so few people use Macs), then he would have no problem infecting a Mac, while a PCs anti-virus might block the same virus made for PC.

And of course, in terms of software compatibility, I hope you don't like games. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can put linux on a PC that is practically immune to viruses and has a very secure kernel. Also we cant assist with anything illegal in anyway. Mac minis i cant in any way recommend they are DEFINITELY overpriced and most certainly underpowered not only do you pay a large premium for what is essentially just a standard small form factor PC but one with almost no upgradability and underpowered hardware and then you have to get a monitor and other peripherals to go with the thing they $600 mac mini more often than not runs to $1000 and its certainly not worth that.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Of course, what I posted was just MY opinion, trying to help davisbaumung with his question. I thought it might be helpful to give him a view from a mac user like myself. I have also used windows for about 14 years now and have tried helping people out with their windows problems in the forums here.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im a purely hardware guy the mac mini isnt such a good idea put it this way, if it was a PC i would still say its not any good, it needs 200 quid off the price tag to be a reasonable.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
The truth about Mac's:

The Mac series are all just the technical equivalent of running a Celeron-based pc, but with an added zero at the end of the price tag for the Apple logo printed on the machine.