Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alternative AV Solution

• Please log in to reply

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
After reading the thread about Rootkit and Symantec, what would (or do) y'all use in the corporate environment to handle anti-virus solutions?

We have a SAV AV server running here (I inherited this system when I took over as the sys admin) with over 150 licenses and I would like to not only save a little money, but speed up systems that are bogged down with our version of SAV Corporate Edition (using v10.1)...

What viable and effective solutions are out there? McAfee? TrendMicro? AVG? These all might work in the home environment, but what about in the business world?

Thoughts? :whistling:

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I run the enterprise edition of NOD32 and would highly recommend it. In the 18 months that I've had it installed, we've had no viruses get through and it updates quickly and efficiently. Server footprint is small, it's easy to deploy, and when I have had to uninstall for any reason, it goes quickly and painlessly with no leftovers.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
We've been using CA Suite at the church painlessly. There are six computers that the kids use, and the office has eight.
Johanna

thenotch

thenotch

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

I run the enterprise edition of NOD32 and would highly recommend it. In the 18 months that I've had it installed, we've had no viruses get through and it updates quickly and efficiently. Server footprint is small, it's easy to deploy, and when I have had to uninstall for any reason, it goes quickly and painlessly with no leftovers.

How many licenses?

We have 150 total and looking at NOD32 site it costs more than SAV does (both are really expensive).

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
My site's not that big, thenotch - I only have 30 end users. It is pricey, but I think it's worth it. I would stay away from McAfee. I like the AVG Free edition, but I don't have any experience with their Enterprise editions. On this page they have Try buttons - maybe you could download a trial and load it somewhere? Avast is worth looking at also.

Hope this helps,

sari

thenotch

thenotch

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Yeah, I have had bad luck with McAfee... I used to work for the US Army and they use McAfee...

Trying to find out how much my predecessor paid for our Symantec solution... and if it is what I think wondering how he talked them into paying over $5000 for it...

I use the AVG free edition at home but wonder how secure and effective it is in the business sector...

Never used Avast, but can't hurt to look... maybe someone here will have experience with it...