Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Somebody Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

jpcreatives

jpcreatives

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I recently got an HP computer (HP Pavilion a1640n). However, when I purchased it I was not educated enough to know that Windows Media Center was incompatible with several audio editing and music production programs and even hardware.

This is very very frustrating to me, since it is one of my hobbies to make music.

I proceeded to try to install Windows XP Pro and it does not seem possible. I read somewhere that it is impossible to upgrade Windows XP Media Center to Windows XP Pro. So, I proceeded to take out my hard drive and install an empty drive. I tried to install Windows XP Pro onto this hard drive so that I could later choose which operating system to boot onto.

Even with a blank Hard Drive and no other hard drive attatched I was unable to install Windows XP Pro. It would just say loading all these different drivers and then "starting windows" and then give me the blue screen of death. This was via a boot up from the CD.

I really am not the most computer illiterate guy, and I have no idea how to go about this. Anyone who has an idea about why I can't install windows on this computer, please help me. I will do whatever it takes to figure this out and be able to use my music software and hardware. I can't even plug my guitar in as it stands...

thanks,

JP

Advertisements

jpcreatives

jpcreatives

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I also swapped my hard drive out with one that already had windows xp pro on it. It would not boot up.

Could it be the motherboard or other HP components that are not compatible with Windows XP Pro?

Anyone?

thanks,

Jon

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You should be able to follow the procedure HERE.

As for swapping/ plugging in an existing HD, that generally won't work because that HD has the board drivers from another unit..

jpcreatives

jpcreatives

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I have tried that, my goal was to install XP Pro on my second hard drive and boot from that when I want to make music. The problem is that when I put the Windows CD in and boot from it, I get the blue screen of death that tells me there is a problem and Windows has been shut down. I don't understand why since I am trying to install it on a seperate hard drive.

Even when I take out my master drive and set a blank drive as my master, and then try to install Windows it will not work.

It does not allow me to get to the install screen. Does anyone know why this happens? Could there be a setting that is preventing me from having anything other than Windows MCE on this comp?

It is so frustrating. The more research I do the more programs for music and sound work don't function with MCE. Other than this being completely ridiculous, I am enfuriated by the fact that I am unable to use my thousands and thousands of dollars worth of software. How was I supposed to know that MCE sucks this royally bad. I mean it is called Media Center, shouldn't it cater to what I am trying to do?

Thanks,

Jon