Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook express

• Please log in to reply

sschmitz

sschmitz

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have looked through your nine pages and didn't find this question... that could be because it is so simple...but I haven't found a simple answer anywhere. I have a substantial collection of e-mails in some of my folders. I do not want to copy each message separately to a folder in documents or to a disk. How can I copy an entire folder to either of these sources? This is esp. important when it comes to small business communications. (Yes, I am trying to start one up and computer 'stuff' is driving me nuts).

I am a GEEK but not in this field... spend all my time trying to understand the human mind not the electronic one....

Thanks...to whoever is out there is space... :tazz:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
File export messages

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
This link will be of help. Please let me know how you goBackup Email
Cheers
peterm

sschmitz

sschmitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for your time and rapid; response. I have been to the recommended site previously, and I went again to make sure I followed the instructions correctly. I created a backup file as per advice and placed it on my desktop. Now I need to find out how to get it to open so that the data in the files will be readable. I guess I need to learn which file types open which files.

What I had hoped to do was transfer the contents of my e-mail files to a disk of equivalent word file... for saving, recording of coorespondence, and copying of e-mails in the future if need be. Once I learn to get the backup file to open... I assume I will then be able to cut and paste entire files not individual e-mails (i.e. one at a time ..as I can do now...tedious and time intensive).

Note: I was working with a program with it's primary location (production and support) in Australia. This was during the Millenium Change... 2000. It was a qualitative package for research called 'NudistVivo'. I had worked with quantitative research programs, but this one was totally different. Found out I wasn't the only one having problems...difficulties were being found worldwide. But, trying to get assistance / support from Australia over the New Years was impossible. Figured everyone was out celebrating they were still alive...
No longer doing research...

Can't do secretarial or average daily use of the computer stuff. Things change so fast I can't keep up. Need Neighborhood Geek just to get by.

Thanks again for your time and consideration....
frustrated and confused.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Now that the file is on your desktop can't you copy it to a disk?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok the penny has just dropped - sorry
As far as I know you can't open the files in word or notepad etc.
They have to be reopened in outlook express. Do you have microsoft outlook ? comes with office

sschmitz

sschmitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I can save to a disk...but it always saves with the IAF extention... looking through Microsoft and checking out ext.'s all I found was ...the older outlook express won't allow transfer of HTML's (?) and nothing relating to IAF ext's that tie into my problem.... I have tried every program I have listed to open 'mailbackup'... none work.

I have Office Express 6.0 but also Windows XP.... since there appears to be a difference between Office Express and simply Office...could that be the issue?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Are you using Oulook express ver 6.
To find out go to Help> About in outlook