Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Update vs. Microsoft Update -- which is better?

• Please log in to reply

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
So Microsoft has this new "Microsoft Update" thing you can install or whatever, which I guess is like Windows Update plus other updates for Microsoft products? I'm a bit leery of switching to that because it sounds like you end up letting Microsoft look at all the software on your computer, etc. Is that correct?

What's the benefit of it?

I don't go to suspicious or dangerous websites, I don't open any attachments or emails I don't recognize. I use ZA and AVG (free versions), as well as Ad-Aware SE and SpyBot and run a check every week or two.

Is there really any reason to risk compatibility or other problems with updates to anything other than Wondows? Is there really any good reason to update my Microsoft Office 2003 that I just installed?

(And I'm still hesitant to install this GDI+ Detection Tool that Windows Update wants me to install...)

Any thoughts or information?

Thanks!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I recommend going with Microsoft Update. It provides updates for all Microsoft products at once, not just Windows. Office products also get security updates periodically (and service packs). It's just good security :whistling:

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
They are pretty much the same, Microsoft update is just another reason for something on your desktop from Microsoft. And you shouldn't worry about updates you will be fine with anything Microsoft add.

Edited by SuperSam, 09 February 2007 - 07:45 PM.