Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which is better for server?

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I'm getting ready to setup a file/DNS/DHCP server for my home network, and I wanted to know what people thought for the distro. I was thinking Red Hat-esque (either Fedora or CentOS) or Debian. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I use CentOS, but one with a built in web GUI, it's brilliant. http://www.nuonce.net/ I use this on two servers and they run flawlessly.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Any linux distro is good. The graphical installer, Anaconda, for Fedora or CentOS make them easy to get going. Debian has 15 install discs and a text mode installation. :blink:

If you like pain, go with Debian.

If you want easy, go with Fedora or CentOS. I have found that Fedora has the more updated packages.

Good luck.

:whistling:

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
When running as a server, if you can try running as a command line only server (without a graphical desktop environment, like gnome or KDE) it will be much faster, and the desktop environment won't be hogging resources.

Edited by SuperSam, 13 February 2007 - 08:54 PM.