Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE7 shuts down my pc

• Please log in to reply

Pechorin

Pechorin

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I've read about alot of problems with IE7 but I haven't been able to find any help with what I've got. Every time I open IE7 (I'm using firefox right now) the program encounters an error and shuts down. Then windows explorer encounters an error and my computer restarts. To make things worse my computer restarts every time I try to uninstall IE7 or if I try to download updates to IE7. In other words it is completely and thoroughly screwed up. Does any one know how I can get rid of this [bleep] thing. Thanks.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Maybe it is a corrupted driver. Sounds like network

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Pechorin

Pechorin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I must be doing something wrong. I unchecked automatically restart and then I restarted my computer but I didn't get the BSOD. Auto restart is still off so I got that part right. Should I not have done a normal restart?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Does this only happen with Internet explorer?

Pechorin

Pechorin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, Firefox works perfectly. As far as I can tell everything on my computer works fine unless I try to do anything with or to IE.

Pechorin

Pechorin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've got some new info. Now when I try to uninstall IE7 I am given the message Setup cannot copy the file ieakmmc.chm When I cancel and proceed with the uninstall the same message pops up for the following files.
ieeula.chm
iesupp.chm
iexplore.chm
inetres.adm
html.iec
After cancelling through all of these the computer of course shuts down. Now I do get the BSOD but the words are all blurry, illegible and not all of them are on the screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try a repair

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Pechorin

Pechorin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'd love to. But I can't complete the uninstall of IE7.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey sorry for the late response, just checked my email :whistling:

Try these steps

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
3. Right-click the Internet Explorer key, click New, and then click DWORD value.
4. Type InstalledByUser as the name, and then press ENTER to finish creating the new registry value.
5. Try to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 again.

Courtesy of microsofts website
http://msdn2.microso...e/aa740486.aspx

Pechorin

Pechorin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I still can't get rid of IE7. The registry change does make it take a few more seconds before my computer shuts down, but it still shuts down every time.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Removed instructions because they were for beta versions.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 10 February 2007 - 08:58 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Nevermind that one, that one will not work

Read + try this.

If you are having problems with Internet Explorer 7 hanging, crashing, silently closing or other bizarre behavior, an incompatible toolbar or other add-on maybe involved. The fastest way to determine if an add-on is causing the problem is to run Internet Explorer 7 with no add-ons. You can do this by going to Start, clicking All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and click Internet Explorer (No add-ons). This disables all add-ons from loading in that instance of Internet Explorer. If the problem goes away, you can manually disable specific add-ons to find the specific one causing the problem. Below are instructions on how to manually disable a specific toolbar and a list of known incompatible toolbars that can cause serious issues with Internet Explorer 7.

To disable a toolbar open Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

In Windows, click the Start button.
Click All Programs.
Click Accessories.
Click System Tools and then click Internet Explorer (No add-ons).
Once you determine the toolbar causing the issue, you should uninstall the toolbar through Add or Remove Programs in Windows Control Panel and then check the toolbar’s website for an updated version.