Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing to Peer to Peer Network from ancient Client Server network

• Please log in to reply

jenfrompa

jenfrompa

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,
I would appreciate anyone's help with my questions!

I am faced w/having to get a new network--I had to get a new workstation and I can't find ANYONE to help me add this new workstation on to my current network. My current network is an ancient dedicated server running Novell 4.1 w/4 work stations & a print server. It was originally used in a medium sized company and I inherited it for free (HA...now it's not worth the headaches!!)

I want to go to something simple---like an easy peer to peer ...maybe even without a print server...I'll only need one internet connection....it may even be just dial up.

I don't ever anticipate having more than 5 total workstations...security is not a problem and speed is really not an issue.

MY QUESTION?

I am by no means computer literate.....after I down the Novell network and switch to peer to peer, how do I get all the files/info from the current server to my new network??

Do I just disable the Novell and run the current server as a workstation?

Other than a few "package" programs like Excel, Word, an Image Editor, and Quark...the main programming is a large DOS based program that was custom programmed for the previous owner (I inherited it--or should they have paid me to inherit it?? :whistling:

Thanks so much for any thoughts/comments/suggestions!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Jennifer

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Novell is largely a headache these days. If that program will run properly over a standard TCP/IP network, you shouldn't have any trouble. What OS is that server running?

jenfrompa

jenfrompa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks so much for answering!

I am using an ancient version of DOS as my operating system on the server.

I really appreciate ANY advice or help you can give me!

Hope you're getting less snow (and ice) than we are!

Jennifer

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...am i missing something? novell is an OS...does the server have a dual boot set up right now (i.e. windows and novell)? or does it just boot to novell?..i would assume any other computers you have are windows machiens as well?

jenfrompa

jenfrompa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,
Thanks for the reply...as you can see, my use of computer terminology is somewhat limited!

I think what I meant to say was that "I use a Novell Netware 4.1 network and my dedicated server is running DOS as an operating system".

Does that make more sense?

Sorry for the confusion...I'm just a little overwhelmed and not sure how to proceed!

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Have a good weekend!

Jennifer

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yech....not easy by any direction...

RECAP (so we're all on the same page):

you've got a server running novell 4.1 (*vomit*)
you've got 4 workstations (what os are they running)

on the server...you have a proprietary softwar that looks like dos? or are you actuall in dos? or are you talking about the CLI (command line) interface of novell?

now..you mention excell etc....where are these programs running? on the clients or the server?