Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not booting!

• Please log in to reply

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hi guys:

Once again I find myself in a very silly situation :whistling:

I have a custom built PC that is my main work station! It has a SATA hard drive. I had linux installed on there - but recently for want of hard disk space, I decided to get rid of the Linux partition. So I downloaded partition magic and deleted the link partition and then formatted it. However I did not touch the MBR (maybe a mistake!).

However, when i rebooted the computer (which I did just once) the boot manager came up - and i chose windows XP and everything went fine. However as i was doing some work 2 days ago - the computer went dead slow all of a sudden. So I hit the little reset button and then everything went well till the boot manager was supposed to come up - all that came up was a screen full of letters that looked like L 99 99 99 ..... Nothing happens after that!!

I tried to boot from the Windows XP Cd and i went into the BIOS where the hard drive is not even listed!! So I entered the XP recovery console - but it will not proceed anyway cos it says there is no hard drive detected!!

Is my hard disk gone? or do i just need to fix the MBR?? how do i go about this??

Help me out guys!!

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
That L 99 99 99 error is a LILO bootloader error. You need to get into the Windows XP recovery console and run fixmbr command. It sounds like you will have to load the SATA drivers to a floppy and hit F6 when prompted before it will recognize your hard drive.

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Cheers!
Thats what i thought it might be.Is there anyway i can do that from a USB drive?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
when you first turn on computer
tap the enter key
interrupt start up
then tap F12
then you will be given your options
1-boot from hard drive
2- boot from cd-rom
3- boot from floppy

choose cd-rom

put xp cd in and hit enter

you will come to a screen that asks you
format cdrive hit enter
do a repair use repair console hit R
you can repair MBR that way

another window open type the repair you want
in your case type MBR then enter
then try to boot up without the xp cd

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
well.. it could be used. but the XP cd will not proceed because I do not have the third party SATA drivers.

So as cmw2010 suggested - i will have to get the SATA drivers and do the recovery!

THanks anyway

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Well guys.. am still stuck here.

I got the SATA drivers. BUt nothing is happening. I think the floppy drive is dead!!

Is there anyway i can proceed to fix my MBR without using the afore mentioned procedure?

Thanks

Sunny