Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dodgy filename, can't copy file. help please.

• Please log in to reply

nennerb

nennerb

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have a file on disc with a question mark in the filename. therefore, it won't allow me to simply copy it onto my hdd. i assume that's why anyway. If i try, it says something to the effect of:

'Cannot copy "": the filename, directory name, of volume label syntax is incorrect.'

i really would like some help getting this file off of the disc and onto my computer.

Thank you.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
the '?' is an illegal character for a filename, which means it can only have been created by some malware on purpose to stop you deleting it. The solution is here: http://www.pcanswers...ubsectionid=616

nennerb

nennerb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
turns out it was done on purpose by my friend when he burned the disc, to correct the title, because he's somewhat pedantic. he added the question mark to the filename in Nero before burning, because obviously he couldn't while it was just sitting on his hdd, and that has now prevented me from copying it off the disc (easily). he doesn't have a copy of it anymore, so it isn't merely a case of just getting it off him again.

is there anything i can do to change the filename or get it onto my hdd? anything?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you tried removing the question mark (since your friend only added it) and Googling for the file? There may be a download site for it.

Ron

nennerb

nennerb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it'd be a bit creepy if somebody else had the file, since it's a movie we took on a group holiday. The only copy any of us have anymore is on this disc, which is why i really was just looking for a way to get it off of here. if it's just a lost cause, i'd like to know, otherwise i'll just stubbornly sit here staring blankly and trying to think of any way to get it off the disc. i came onto these forums looking for someone more computer savvy than myself to think of something :whistling:
pleaaase, if anybody can help.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Copy it to a Mac. Change the name. Copy it back. Macs are FAR more permissive than PCs, and won't blink at a ?
http://www.grouplogi.......w&docID=111

nennerb

nennerb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
my brother used to have a mac, but that's it. i don't know a single person who owns one...sorry.
anything else i can try?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you try loading it in to Nero from the disc

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
The main issue here is that ? is an unusable character in FAT32 or NTFS formatted hard drives. Anything that causes the file to be copied, in any way, shape, or form, will cause problems. Trying to copy the file anywhere using a Windows system will throw errors. Hmm...could try a Knoppix boot and try to rename the file through the command prompt.