Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADSL Max

• Please log in to reply

RichardB1

RichardB1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi, I've just switched broadband supplier and am getting about 2mb download speeds which is what I'd expect from my line. I'm not sure about the ADSL Max malarky though...according to BT my line should be capable of 6-8mb with ADSL Max, and my new ISP should be giving me that sort of speed but it ain't! My router shows its connected at just under 8mb yet doing speed tests shows I'm only getting about 2mb downloads (e.g. http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/).

Does anyone know if 2mb is all I'll be able to get or am I right in thinking I should be able to get more?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
just to check you're aware there's a technical difference between 'bandwidth' and the approximate download speed you'll get on that bandwidth. You divide the bandwidth by 8 to give you the relevant download speed.

For example:

8Mbit bandwidth = 1 Mbyte/sec download speed (8 divided 8)

6Mbit bandwidth = 750 Kbytes/sec download speed

You started off by saying your are getting 2Mbit bandwidth and it's "what you'd expect from your line". So if it's what you expect then what's the problem?

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sorry, not explaining myself well! According to BT, my line is capable of a 2mb connection with ADSL and 6-8mb with ADSL MAX. Its really the distinction between these two I'm not sure about - is ADSL Max what we all get or is it hardware dependant or something?