Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything's not going quite to plan

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi! The other day I was just browsing the web and I had an impulse buying moment and managed to bag a copy of Windows Vista Home Basic at a really good price. It was an OEM version if that matters.

Anyway, it'd been lying about on my desk for about a week and yesterday I thought that I might as well try and install it. So, I performed a clean install and everything went really well. It was done within half-an-hour!

Oh, I skipped the step where you enter the license key, and haven't activiated yet. (I didn't want Vista to stay stuck to this laptop if there was going to be problems. I think that'll work?)

Everytime I log off, I get a Blue Screen. Every time, without fail. If I want to log off so someone else can log on, I have to restart. And, it's really annoying.

Also, it seems to run a whole lot slower than XP did. WMP has trouble playing my media, it's like there's a break every second in each song.

Can somebody please help? Please?

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
You'll probably want some System Specs? Sorry...

- Windows Vista Home Basic (duh)
- 1.5GHz Processor [single-core I think]
- 777MB RAM (707, because I think the graphics takes out 64MB for itself :S)
- 64MB Graphics Card Thingy.

N00b1

N00b1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
try doing it again and you should be ok if not then post here it might have mist a file if still probs give MS a call

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
With that processor I doubt its 64-bit.

Maybe you snagged the 64-bit version and not the 32? OEM only sells one, and you might of picked the wrong one. :S

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Nope. It's the 32-bit version.

I'm just going to leave it for the time being I think. It has started to speed-up a little for the programs I regularly use, and I'm going to use that ReadyBoost thing on my USB flash drive soon.

Thanks for the help. :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Though Microsoft states the bare minimum memory requirement for Vista is 512MB, I wouldn't dare run the system on a computer with less then 1GB of memory. I also would not run Vista on a computer that has onboard video. Vista is very graphically intensive and onboard video just doesn't cut it.

Minimum Requirements that I recommend for Vista are:

2.0GHz+ processor (NO CELERONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
1.5GB Ram

64-bit processor is definitely preferred since Vista was made to operate on that version better then the 32-bit version which quite frankly runs for crap

Fenor

*EDIT: I also would never EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER perform an upgrade from XP to Vista. Always, ALWAYS, do a clean install!!!!!! You can find the guide HERE on how to perform a clean install of Vista using an upgrade disc.

Edited by Fenor, 18 February 2007 - 09:59 AM.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Well, our computer (I installed Vista on my laptop, but we have a computer too) might be better for Vista then?

- 2.8GHz Intel Pentium 4 with HT
- 512MB RAM (I'm trying to upgrade it though, see here.)
- 128MB Graphics Card Thingy with Pixel Shader 1.4 (According to the ATI Scanner thingy)

Do you think that'd be alright with Vista if I bought, say, 1GB of RAM?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It would run better, but I still think that your video card is pretty low-end. Pixel Shader 3.0 is out now and so 1.4 is very out-dated. Using a video card that can handle at least Pixel Shader 2.0 would be best. Also, upgrading to at least 1GB of memory like you are trying is ideal.

Fenor

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Do you need Pixel Shader for Windows Vista without Aero? Because I really don't have the money to buy RAM and a graphics card.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Without Aero you should be okay, but you definitely need the ram upgrade.

Fenor