Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mystery

• Please log in to reply

Elizabeth Miney

Elizabeth Miney

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Need help from a computer brainiac!!! I sent a sensitive email to a friend. No attachments just a note. My husband received an "anonymous" (email address found to be gone by the time he hit reply) email which referenced my private email to my friend.

Could someone be accessing my friend's email remotely and without her knowledge? Could someone be watching everything she does on her computer from another location? How can she get rid of this? HELP!

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
what e-mails do you use? aol msn yahoo are very easy to get if you chat on then its just your screen name then just add aol msn yahoo .com thats how some send virus by make up something they think you will open.
<_<

Elizabeth Miney

Elizabeth Miney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I use MSN and the recipient of my email uses hotmail.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
do you chat on msn? do you have a anti virus program on your system?
<_<

Elizabeth Miney

Elizabeth Miney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neither of us are "chatters" on the internet and my computer runs Macafee. I was told there is a software available that you can load onto someone's computer that lets you monitor them or "spy" on them. Is this true? <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I was told there is a software available that you can load onto someone's computer that lets you monitor them or "spy" on them. Is this true?

Yes, the most common is called a keylogger. It records every keystroke the user types--including encrypted passwords. Keyloggers often display the program, and/or webpage, as well as the date and time. This information can be retrieved by another user at the same computer, or even emailed to them without any trace or knowledge of the person being "logged".

Keyloggers can be installed directly on a computer, or even sent as an email attachment (often a greeting card).

Most keylogger programs appear in a Hijack This log. Have your friend post a log a we'll take a look. <_< (see the "Hijack This Guide" in my signature).

Keyloggers can be installed by parents to watch their kids Internet activities, spouses, business competitors, or hackers looking for access to bank accounts, credit cards and other sensitive information.