Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to download software on PC to scan or clean

• Please log in to reply

bridgetsnape

bridgetsnape

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

I have been trying to do all the steps required prior to posting a Hijack this log - and I am unable to complete the whole process because my computer keeps timing out halfway through the downloads.

Is there a way that I could save the download on a zip drive or a cd and then load it onto the desktop? Other than ATF cleaner - I have not been able to complete a download in a week.

I have removed a massive amount of programs from the c drive (the d drive is practically empty). I have defragged both drives.

I have reset the system restore and cleaned out the prior restore points.

I removed messenger.

I have not been able to download the avg or superanti spyware. I already had SP2 from Microsoft.

Is there something I can manually remove prior to trying to download again?

I did the msconfig cleanout. There were some things listed there that are bad according to bleepingcomputer.com

Thanks -
Bridget

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Welcome aboard.

This should probably be in the malware section. Unfortunately I can't move it.
Yes you can download to a CD and then install on the infected unit.

FYI: Only certain Geeks can help on malware. That is why it is closed to some of us helping. They do not want inexperianced geeks creating more issues (and neither do you).

I will give you this link to STINGER. This will search for specific viruses that render the normal scanners ineffective.
After that I would say wait and get it looked at in malware.

Good luck

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
you could try going to safemode with network. Start /Run /open=msconfig. click on the Boot.ini tab and select "safe boot" then network next to safe boot then click OK and restart. see if you can finish your downloads form there.

bridgetsnape

bridgetsnape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have rebooted in safe mode now several times and tried to download AVG, SuperAnti Spy, and Stinger multiple times. They will not download.

Should I repost this on Malware?

Thanks
Bridget

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download anything?

bridgetsnape

bridgetsnape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am able to download the atv (from atribune.org) cleaner and run it.

Other than that - I have only been trying to download the other first steps and the stinger and they will not download so I cannot run them!!

I am fairly savvy so I should be able to do whatever you recommend. Also - I have access to two laptops - so I can download the software onto a zip drive or a cd rom and then load it that way if you think it would work.

Thanks -
Bridget

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you can get Hijack This on there and run it, if so, post the log in the Malware Forum