Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Getting a New Graphisc Card

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I have $400 to spend on a graphics card. Problem is, there's so many options. I want to get a good one, of course, but I also don't want to spend my money on a 400 graphics card if a $300 one will do. All I want is a graphics card that will run high end games (HL2, CoH, Oblivion, F.E.A.R) on high graphics. I don't want to buy one that will cost $400 just because it has 'crossfire' enabled. Here are a couple I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814195025

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102045

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814103022

I guess what I'd like to know is this: Will a $250 x1600 work just as good as a $390 x1950? All I want to do is play my games in high resolution. I anybody has any suggestions for a good graphics graphics card, I'd love the help. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
If you have the money, I would go ahead and get one of the brand-new DirectX 10 cards, personally I have heard good things of this one:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130071

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have $400 to spend on a graphics card. Problem is, there's so many options. I want to get a good one, of course, but I also don't want to spend my money on a 400 graphics card if a $300 one will do. All I want is a graphics card that will run high end games (HL2, CoH, Oblivion, F.E.A.R) on high graphics. I don't want to buy one that will cost $400 just because it has 'crossfire' enabled. Here are a couple I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814195025

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102045

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814103022

I guess what I'd like to know is this: Will a $250 x1600 work just as good as a $390 x1950? All I want to do is play my games in high resolution. I anybody has any suggestions for a good graphics graphics card, I'd love the help. Thanks in advance.

You could get by with the x1950pro very well but lets talk about directx10.. If you buy any of those cards you listed they do not support directx10 at all. Directx10 is available for windows vista and will be used on the newer games coming out in 3-4 months like CRYSIS the game. Directx9 video cards will still be able to play the dx10 games yes but to get the ultimate experience you want to have a directx10 video card with the latest Windows Vista.

I would try my best to get a directx10 video card but another thing is ati has a R600 video card coming out in a couple months that will beat the nvidia 8800gtx and when that comes out the nvidia 8800's will drop in price so you have a choice here. If you absolutely have to get a card NOW get the 8800gts like the evga one he listed it is an awesome card. I would try to wait if I could for a month or two when the prices goes down. Its all up to you.

Make sure you have a good enough power supply in your computer aswell if you end up getting the 8800gts.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Thanks for all that info. I definitely don't want my technology to be obsolete in just 3 months. But will that happen to the 8800GTS, or will it still be a good card for a couple years to come?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks for all that info. I definitely don't want my technology to be obsolete in just 3 months. But will that happen to the 8800GTS, or will it still be a good card for a couple years to come?

Directx10 will be good for a long time. Directx10 isnt even here yet game wise. The first game will appear in about 4 months maybe 3 that allows you to take advantage of the directx10 technology. It will stay for awhile just like directx9 stayed for years...

That video card should last awhile.

Edited by jrm20, 10 February 2007 - 05:12 PM.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
What kind of power supply do you need for the 8800 GTS? I checked newegg but they didn't list it under the specs. or maybe i just didn't see it. Thanks for all the help.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

What kind of power supply do you need for the 8800 GTS? I checked newegg but they didn't list it under the specs. or maybe i just didn't see it. Thanks for all the help.

What kind of computer do you have now? How many watts is your current power supply?

Are you sure you even have PCI express on your motherboard?

Edited by jrm20, 10 February 2007 - 05:17 PM.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I have a new motherboard, a ASUS P4S800D-X, and it does have PCIexpress on it. My computer specs are as follows:
p4 3.0 ghz cpu
1280 mb of ram
450 watt power supply
60gig hard drive

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have a new motherboard, a ASUS P4S800D-X, and it does have PCIexpress on it. My computer specs are as follows:
p4 3.0 ghz cpu
1280 mb of ram
450 watt power supply
60gig hard drive

what brand and or model is your power supply. Yes it matters.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i'm, checking for the brand but the model number is LPJ2

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Well, after a more in-detail check, I realized that my motherboard does NOT have any PCI-E slots on it. For some reason I thought that it did. So I guess I'm going to have to stick with plain ol' AGP or PCI.These leads me to several more questions.
1)Should I buy a AGP or PCI graphics card, and,
2)If I get a nice AGP/PCI card, will it be rendered obsolete by the fact that it cannot run Directx10? I know you mentioned above that to play the newest games I will have to have Directx10, but will all of them be directx10, or will just amazing ones like Crysis?
I recently bought my motherboard, so I don't think that I'm going to get a new one just to get PCI-E slots.
I guess what I'm asking is this: Under the circumstances, what is my best option for buying a good graphics card that will not be rendered obsolete in a couple months?

Edited by dllp117, 11 February 2007 - 05:28 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Pretty much anything available for PCI was obsolete years ago, and most of the AGP is obsolete although you can get x1950pros but because AGP is the old standard you pay a premium for them so AGP cards are i find more expensive than the identical PCI-e counter part and you cant get the best cards in AGP the best you can get is an x1950pro with 512Mb ddr3, itll last a little while its a very good card just not dx10 which i dont think is likely to ever come to AGP.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
That's what I was afraid of...so, basically, if I want to get any graphics card that is worthwhile I should get a motherboard with PCI-E slots first?