Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Youtbe Help

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I don't know if this is the right place for this, but what the heck. I used to watch youtube videos constantly. Then one day I went to watch one and I received an error saying this.

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest flash player.

So I installed the latest flash player. It said I installed succesfully. I went back to youtube, yet still not working. Please help me with this problem.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Which web-browser gives you that problem -- IE, FF, both?

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
well rite now just ie. i used to have ff and ie, but ff has known issues with my anti virus software so i had to uninstall it.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Just out of interest.... Surf here: http://secunia.com/software_inspector/

Click Start Now. Check the box under Start button, then hit Start. It'll scan.

Expand all of the results that are inspected as OUTDATED software, take a screenshot of them and upload that screenshot here :whistling:

Might be nothing but I want to be sure your flash player is indeed updated.

Edited by Rawe, 24 February 2007 - 07:54 AM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well it says I need to update. But on the actual site it says that I am updated. I don't know what to do.
Posted Image

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Maybe you need to delete the older versions first.

Lets see if this is of any use.... Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash

Now, you should see quite a few .ocx files named FlashX.ocx (X standing for a number there).

Delete ALL the .ocx files EXCEPT for Flash9b.ocx. Empty recycle bin. Try YouTube again,, still showing an error?

If you're uncertain about what you should delete, please post another screenshot from the Flash folder. :whistling:

-------

Oh and you'll also want to update Java, this has nothing do with your issue but seeing you have an outdated version.....

Updating Java and Clearing Cache
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on the Software icon > Add/Remove Programs.
  • Search in the list for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE Runtime Environment.... )
    It should have next icon next to it: Posted Image
    Select it and click Remove. (Remove all the current versions you have)
  • After the reboot, go back into the Control Panel and double-click the Java Icon.
  • Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
  • There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 CheckedDownloaded Applets
    Downloaded Applications
    Other Files
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

[*]After the reboot, go back into the Control Panel and double-click the Java Icon.
[*]Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
[*]There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 CheckedDownloaded Applets
Downloaded Applications
Other Files

[*]Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
[*]Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
[/list][/list]

Im a little fuzzy on how to double click the java icon in the control panel and add/remove programs... :whistling:

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
First, when you remove Java, open Control Panel, then click to open the Add/Remove Programs list. On this list, remove all your current Java versions. Then, download and install the latest from the link.

As for the Java icon,

open Control Panel, it's probably right there. On my laptop though, when you open control panel, the Java icon is found under "Other Control Panel applications" -- or something similar (I've got finnish windows). :whistling:

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
I just had to switch my Control Panel to classic view. So I have done everything you said so far, and I still can't watch videos on YouTube.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
What's the antivirus program you're using? That has known issues with firefox?

Might want to check your IE settings then.... Open IE -> Tools -> Security -> Trusted Sites -> Custom Level.

Scroll through the settings and make sure your Javascript is enabled in the browser. :whistling:

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I am running Trend Micro Antivrus 11 and Webroot Spysweeper. I checked and I have active scripting enabled.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Do you have Windows Flash Player 9 ActiveX control content debugger?

I uninstalled mine, then gave a shot at youtube and it says exactly the same error. It gets fixed when I installed the ActiveX again.

Download and install it, let me know Flash Player ActiveX debugger. :whistling:

Edited by Rawe, 28 February 2007 - 04:13 AM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Thank you very much. That tottaly fixed the problem. I really appreciated it your help. Thanks for everything.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22