Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with Partitians and removing an OS

• Please log in to reply

ncclone

ncclone

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone. I am trying to fix some of my storage issues on my computer. I have the ability to use either Windows 98 or Windows 2000. I had 98 to play a few games that wouldn't work on 2000. I need more storage for my drive that has 2000 on it. It is setup with 98 on c:, 2000 on d: and e: as basic storage. What I want to do is remove the 98 os off my computer and merge the c: drive with the d: drive to get more space. How can I do this?

Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can simply delete the Windows 98 partition by booting from your Win2k CD (I'm guessing it has the same tools as an XP cd) and using it's setup tools, you could then create a new partition where 98 used to be, using those same tools. If the Win2k CD can't do that, you can use a Windows 98 startup floppy and use FDISK which is on it. However, you would still have 3 partitions (one containing win2k, and the other two for storage.

To merge 'c' and 'd' partitions into one without destroying your win2k installation you would need to buy something like 'PartitionMagic' software which I've used myself and it does work.

You could alternatively use the free FDISK tool which is on a Windows startup floppy (I mentioned earlier), to delete both 'c' and 'd' partitions then create a single partition where there used to be two. But that method, while not costing you anything, would definitely destroy your existing win2k installation and you would have to re-install it afterwards.

Windows Startup Floppy here: http://www.bootdisk.com (or make your own from Windows 98 if you haven't already)

PartitionMagic here: http://www.symantec....r...p&pvid=pm80

Edited by pip22, 11 February 2007 - 01:37 AM.