Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install OS

• Please log in to reply

Old Goat

Old Goat

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello, all. I am a recording musician, and , in a fit of "[bleep], I can do that", I decided to build a new music 'puter. I bought a barebones unit from AVADirect. ASUS A8V-E SE mobo, Western Digital SATA HDDs (40 and 250G caviars) Radeon 9250 vid card, Athlon 64 2.0g CPU.

My problem is that I managed to get the thing to start booting twice, but didn't know that I had to load drivers for the SATA. Both times it quit after the 'to load drivers, press F6' prompt, saying 'no HDDs detected. Okay, I understand now, but now it won't boot. I get the beeps and the HDD LED flashes, then I get the ASUS screen, and I can change the boot sequence to cd-rom 1st, but then it jus sits there with a little flashing bar in the upper left of the screen. There's no floppy drive on the machine. I have tried resetting the bios. Can someone please help me? :whistling:

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
In the BIOS, is it showing any hard disks on the SATA controller? I'm also guessing that both of your hard drives are Serial ATA, in which case you will need a floppy drive, to install the SATA drivers before you can install Windows to one of the drives.

Old Goat

Old Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was told I could load the SATA drivers from CD when the F6 prompt comes up, but I can't get that far anymore. It only started loading twice, the first time I didn't know about the drivers, and the second time I just missed it. Now the machine won't even start loading the XP.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just had a similar problem with acomputer. I finally ended up using the windows floppy disk exe file to make a set of floppy disks to get the computer to even see the Windows CD.

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q310994

and some more help here.

http://support.micro....com/kb/314859/

SRX660

Old Goat

Old Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks. I'll check it out.
I read somewhere that XP is finicky about loading on an HDD that has files on it--like maybe the bits from my first try. Anybody know anything about that?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That was the reason i needed to use the floppy disks. A previous attempt to install crashed and then windows would not install at all.

What i did not attempt at that time was to use the Hard Drive makers utilitys to write all "0"s to the drive and then try installing.

SRX660

Old Goat

Old Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I don't have a floppy drive--can you clean the HD in the machine, or do I have to stick it in another computer?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The HD makers utilities can be burned to a CD and used that way.

As an example.

http://support.wdc.c...m...d=3&swid=53

Please use the utilities made for your drive by the original manufacturer.

SRX660

Old Goat

Old Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Bingo! Thank you, SRX660! That utility did the trick. It was a 4 hr download (I'm on dialup), but I ran it and the OS went in w/o a hitch.

Thanks again. And thanks for not just letting the thread die a lonely death.