Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me to copy my 40gb HD to all of my 200gb

• Please log in to reply

dgarrison123

dgarrison123

• Pip
  • 7 posts
To start off i've been going at this for days now and its about to make me have a mental breakdown. Ok I have this 40GB Western Digital HD with all the data i want and would like to copy everything to the new Maxtor 200gb HD. I have tried freeware on the internet but i couldn't copy any bigger than the source drive. So that made my C partition 40GB with 300mb of free space on the 200GB HD with like 149 GBs to do with what i please. I Then tried freeware partition resizers also with no luck because they only worked on FAT and not NTFS, which both of the HDs are NTFS. I wouldn't like to buy software scence this isn't my personal computer, but if needed will do.

So how can i copy my 40GB HD to use the whole 200GB on one partition?

Thanks
The new guy Daryl

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go, Daryl.

Boy, do we have a treat for you.
Go to this website and download the Paragon Drive copy 8 program. Read the website carefully so you can get the registration numbers to make it the full version. Then use the program to copy the whole operating system over to the 200 G HD. If yopu read the help files in DC8 carefully you will see that you can do any number of combinations to copy the drive over. You can puy your total files on a 40 gig partition and use a second partition for data. There are many other methods so read the help files. OH, and by the way, both drives were formatted as NTFS to start with.

Heres the program.

http://www.vnunet.co...e-copy-personal

You will put the 200 Gig drive in the computer as the slave to your 40 G drive and DC8 will ask you questions on what you want to do. Remember to read the help files before doing anything. I had no problems at all by taking a few hours to read the help files.

Now the first time i did this i copied 6.2 gigs from a 20 gig hard drive over to a 160 Gig Hard drive. I then swapped the 160 G drive into the master position and restareted thecomputer. I left out the 20 gig HD altogether. I did get a error the first time i started the computer and did not do anything but Ok it. After that i have not had a problem with the computer and am still using it to store my 50 gigs of MP3 music on it. All programs work and i have not had any problems yet.

The second time i used the software i copied a 13 gig set of files from a 40 gig drive over to a 40 gig partition on a 120 gig drive. I then used XP to partition the unallocated space as a "D" drive for data, pictures, and music files. This was on a different computer than the first.

I am now attempting to do another computer where i am trying to copy 85 gigs of data along with the OS to a 250 Gig Sata drive. I am not sure this will work with sata so i will see.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 10 February 2007 - 07:38 PM.

dgarrison123

dgarrison123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So do i just need to install the software on the PC im working on or does it matter?

When i tried to install it on the pc im working on its says it is not a valid Win32 application please help me.

Edited by dgarrison123, 11 February 2007 - 02:38 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, you need to install the software on the computer you are trying to swap drives in. If you continue to get the error redownload the files because it seems your's has been corrupted.

SRX660

dgarrison123

dgarrison123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i redownloaded it and it work, but i can't find the help files so where are they located.

Also does the 200GB HD need to be formated before i start, and does the software need to be installed on the pc im working on or can it be on a external HD.

Edited by dgarrison123, 11 February 2007 - 03:47 PM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
The 200GB HD will have to be formatted (format it in NTFS), Maxtor have software for doing this type of thing on thier site. http://www.maxtor.com/ look for and download MaxBlast.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Although i don't think it need's to be formatted as DC8 will format the drive partition you specify. It does not hurt to go ahead and format the drive and i would do it with the built-in XP program in the disk management window of the computer management.

If you have the DC8 program open the help files is at the help button. The program runs but does nothing untill you tell it to. so read the help files beforehand.

As i have not tried using a external hard drive i do not know it it will work that way I have always installed it as a regular program in the "C" drive of the computers. I really doubt it will work from a external drive as it needs to shut down the operating system to copy critical files that are running when XP is running. It cannot do this if it does not know where the files are because it is still looking on the external drive for the OS.

Again the help files will tell you this.

SRX660

dgarrison123

dgarrison123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey would just like to say thanks for the great software recomendation, its still running now, but so far it looks to be running flawlessly. It has been running now for about 2 and half hours now, and says it has 6 hours remaining. Thanks alot for the software it is super great at a great price! The reason i was asking if it needed to be installed on the PC is because I was worried it wouldn't have enough space. The HD on the PC had only 1gig of free space, but there was enough space. You have no idea how much I appreciate the help, you saved me from a mental breakdown. Thanks alot.