Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wierd Problem - Can't connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply

Heineken77

Heineken77

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys, I have ran into an issue that I can't seem to fix. I'm running Windows Vista, and everything was running fine. I have my computer connected to my Lynksys router and could connect to the internet without any problems. Tonight I installed a copy of Windows XP Media Center (Legit Copy) to a seperate partition on my hard drive in order to use some hardware that is not yet compatible with Windows Vista.

When loading in WinXP Media Center, there was quite a few items in the Device Manager that had a yellow checkmark next to them. One was my network controller, so the only thing under my network settings that appeared was the standard 1394 Connection.

NOTE: I previously had installed WinXP Home on a seperate partition and ran into this issue, where the device was not being recognized. After installing the nforce drivers, the issue was fixed and I could access the internet.

So I once again installed the XP nforce drivers from nVidia for the 410/430 chipset (which is what I have in my computer) - HP Media Center m7640n - and my network controller device appeared once again. However this time I was told that my network had limited connectivity. I tried accessing my router via it's IP in Internet Explorer, and it would not connect either. I tried release/renew, and even setting up my connection to work with a static IP, however no matter what I try I cannot gain internet access, and I also can not access my router.

Now here's where it gets wierd

I figured there was something that went wrong with my installation. So I restarted my computer and booted into my other partition to load up Vista. When Vista loads up, my network connection is limited on that OS as well! It was working perfectly fine just minutes before when I was in Vista...but something from the time I installed XP on it's own partition to this point has affected my network in Vista. I don't understand how seeing as they are installed on 2 different partitions, and they are two different OS installations on different assigned drive letters.

So I go into network settings for Vista, and it says 'Unidentified Network'. I tried release/renew, restarting modem/router/computer ... all sorts of stuff. No luck. I seriously doubt this has anything to do with my router because I didn't do anything to it whatsoever.

I have no firewall active at the moment.

Here are the details I got when I type ipconfig /all when logged into Vista now:

[quote]
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name:
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address: 00-18-F3-2F-FE-F9
DHCP Enabled: No
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::81a5:d9c7:a87d:44ba%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.111(Preferred)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: 206.248.154.22
NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled

Description: isatap.{C325A168-1FDD-4777-8CC0-FF167855B086}
Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::5efe:192.168.1.111%10(Preferred)
Default Gateway:
DNS Servers: 206.248.154.22
NetBIOS over Tcpip: Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:
Media State: Media disconnected
Description: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address: 02-00-54-55-4E-01
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes[/b]

Thanks for reading guys!!

Edited by Heineken77, 10 February 2007 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

Heineken77

Heineken77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Update: After re-installing Vista, the problem is still not corrected.
I did another ipconfig /all run, this time without me having a static IP and going through my router.

The preferred IP this time is stated as 169.254.206.218

Still no luck as of yet :whistling:

Heineken77

Heineken77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well Here's another update:

1) Browsing with Windows Vista. No problems. Can connect to router using 192.168.1.1. Everything working 100% correct.
2) Install Windows XP to a seperate partition
3) Log onto XP and see that the onboard nForce ethernet is not being recognized.
4) Install nForce drivers for my chipset 410/430 (Which I believe installed the nForce firewall that works with something in my motherboard from what I recall that I chose to disable ((However that mabye stopped something from working?))
5) nForce NIC now being recognized, yet cannot connect and displaying problems above in original posts. Also, I can not log onto 192.168.1.1
6) Log off XP and onto Vista. Now the EXACT same thing happening on XP is happening with Vista.
7) Tried reinstalling Vista...no luck.
8) Format Partition with XP
9) Format Partition with Vista
10) Reinstall Vista on a clean formatted drive
11) Network card now works again and can log onto 192.168.1.1

There HAS to be something to do, IMO with the nForce drivers, OR the nForce Firewall in some way. There is no other explanation, as now everything works and is back to normal.

I dont' know how to fix this issue so I can dual boot with XP

ikis

ikis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have some kind of the same problem. I found a workarround for it:

1) See that your computer is copletely turned off (with a real switch)
2) unplug the network cable at the router or switch
3) boot your computer
4) plug the cable back in
5) everything should work