Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System not seeing all memory

• Please log in to reply

Phil H.

Phil H.

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Shuttle Spacewalker AI61 motherboard in my system. The specs indicate support for 768 MB. I have 2 256 MB DIMMS installed in the first 2 slots. The system will not see all of the memory. I have swapped the DIMMS nack and forth and tried them both alone and they indicate correctly but not together. There are no jumpers. The BIOS interprets the memory sizw.

I have a new release of Dragon Naturally Speaking and it will not even install without 512 MB.

Does anyone know this board or have any suggestions? If necesary, can I supstitute 1 512 MB DIMM for the 2 256s? Can PC133 SDRAM be substituted for the PC100?

Phil

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This board only supports PC100 memory officially. This would therefore be 3x256Mb sticks. There is a remote chance it may work with PC133 but this is no guarantee, as that board was designed primarily for companies but a few end up on the open market. However according to Crucial.com they sell PC133 memory that works with this board.

Try the sticks in all possible combinations in case a memory slot is faulty? Remember this board is about eight years old now so its entirely possible its developed some kind of fault on the memory slots over time.

Phil H.

Phil H.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. I did some additional investigation today. There is a board problem. It will not see anything but the first 128 MB past the first slot. The first slot is 256. If I stripall the memory out and install 256 in the second slot by itself. Only 128 MB showed up. If I put 128 in the second slot and 256 in the other two I still only get 384.

This board will run PC133 as it already is. It just runs at PC100 speed. I would like to try a PC133 512 MB stick in slot 1. If that doesn't work I'll have to replace the M0therboard or the system.

I want to install Dragon Naturally Speaking 9. It reauires 512 MB before it will even install.

Again, thanks for the help

Phil

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to Crucial, this board doesn't support 512Mb sticks, therefore it is fruitless to try and get it to talk to one. As you know its got a problem and only reading half of the sticks in the first two slots, it follows that further issues are going to develop and you're better off cutting your losses and replacing your board, processor, memory (as you can't buy those boards for those processors brand new anymore) and get a significant performance boost at the same time.