Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help for dell

• Please log in to reply

tankertons20

tankertons20

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay my mother in law is running xp on her dell desktop. she tried to install a second hard drive, well that messed everything up. she couldnt get into setup. well i have overcome issues with setup. but here is where my problem inlies, at reboot it wont find the drive. it says press f1 to continue or f2 for setup. if you press f1 it will enter xp, but how can i get rid of the f1 to continue and install the second hard drive? thanks for any help.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
You need to formatt the second harddrive. Have you done that yet?

tankertons20

tankertons20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
yes the second hard drive is formatted but everytime you connect it. i lose the first hard drive.and the pc wont recognize either drive.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try checking the strapping connector for the pins and make sure they are set to slave.

More info:

1) HHD Controller setup

2) Jumper Settings.

#2 is a PDF file.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 10 February 2007 - 09:59 PM.