Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP! Code 28 USB Device Problem and No sound!

• Please log in to reply

AFamily123

AFamily123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, I have this major problem with my Computer.

All of a sudden, my sound stopped working (no sound, I couldn't access "Volume Control", nothing through the speakers, but it is playing) , so I attempted to fix it myself.

So I went through the entire process on Help and Support Center and It sent me through to Device Manager, and the only thing with a problem was in "Network Adaptors" under "USB Device" (Nothing else, just USB Device)
It said Code 28 (The The drivers for this device are not installed).

So I assume that this is making my sound not work (speakers and earphones) as everything else in my computer is going and working properly. (On Device Manager anyway)
I tried to fix it, by reinstalling driver and had a problem on what I need to do. I clicked the "Install automatically" one and it says it couldnt install it and if I have an installment CD or software, put it in.
I have alot of disks that I don't know what they are for, so if you know what disk will help this, just tell me the name, and I will buy or look in my collection for it.

But I don't know if this helps but I also had this problem:
I had this other exclamation a while back on Multimedia AC'97,under "Sound, Video and game controllers" and it said Code 10 (This device cannot start).
And thats what I thought the problem was, and then I checked for any windows updates and other things (sorry I can't remember them) and then I installed this "VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)" and then that replaced the other one, and it's working properly. Plus, I could now access "Volume control".

But My sound still doesn't work, so it's that Code 28 problem that is making me recieve no sound.

I'm really confused and need help. I know basically nothing about Computers; but I do know how to follow instructions.
If you need me to give you any additional infomation on my computer, then don't hesitate to ask me.

Someone PLEASE help me as I need my sound for a project for school.

Thanks,
AFamily123

Edited by AFamily123, 10 February 2007 - 11:25 PM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
We need some information to help.
- What computer do u have?
- What operating system r u useing?
- I'm not sure I understand u fixed the "VIA AC'97 Audio Controller " and it doe or doesn't work right now?
-you'r network adapter is a network card in the computer or connected via a USB?
if is external disconnect it and reboot. what does the device maneger say now?

AFamily123

AFamily123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

We need some information to help.
- What computer do u have?
- What operating system r u useing?
- I'm not sure I understand u fixed the "VIA AC'97 Audio Controller " and it doe or doesn't work right now?
-you'r network adapter is a network card in the computer or connected via a USB?
if is external disconnect it and reboot. what does the device maneger say now?

Thanks for responding! Here's the info:

-I have an Acer Aspire T135, Windows XP
- I don't understand
- The "VIA AC'97 Audio Controller just replaced my other Audio Controller. It's working properly but I still don't have no sound.
- I don't know how to do this, please explain

Is this USB thing connected to having no sound?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Ok
let's take one thing at a time.

- The "VIA AC'97 Audio Controller just replaced my other Audio Controller. It's working properly but I still don't have no sound.

If there is no sound it means that there is a problem.
go to the device manager and uninstall the audio driver. and allso uninstall the network adapter that is not istalled. properly.
now try and refresh the device manager c what is installed properly.
Did u check that the audio control is suppose to b on the desktop?
control panel -> sound and audio devices -> there is a volume tab c if is marked to place volume bar on desktop.
Allso go to sounds and click on one of the sounds does the arow below the window turn black? If no then there is an installation problem. if yes then check the connections of the audio and the sound settings allso on the speakers.