Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer - Use Parallel Port w/new Laptop with only USB

• Please log in to reply

lela

lela

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have an old HP deskjet 350cbi with only a parallel port and infrared capability. My new laptop only has a USB port. Salespeople told me that I have no other option but to buy a new printer -- but, I did an internet search, and saw a D-Link USB-Parallel, Mini-Port Replicator, & ParalleltoUSBConverter. Would any of these units or another unit help me to use my old printer with my new laptop? I'd appreciate yr kind advice! Lela

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
lela welcome to g2g.

I you go into google and type "usb to parallel adapter" any of these adapters can work. I have used many different adapters. not to a parell printer but to others. all u need to do is connect it to the laptop.and in some casses u need to use the driver given.
good luck

lela

lela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you!

I saw a parallel printer to usb converter and some other units containing both a parallel port and 2-3 USB ports. However, I noticed that you have the terms switched with USB to Parallel, does this mean that the first unit is for the opposite? Would the other unit with the multiple ports work? Sorry for the dumb questions! I'd appreciate your advice.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
A parallel port is a port that send data 8 bits at a time. It is how the LPT works, the way your old printer works. It needs2 b fed 8bits at a time wile a usb port works at a much grater speed and is serial -> feeds one bit a time.
I can't say what will work and what won't withaout seeing a picrure or a data sheet... But make sure in the picture that it has a connection that is compatable with your printer.
If there is any hting else u r welcome to ask.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-lela [Parallel Printer to USB Adapter]-12 FEB-2007

lela – Welcome to – Geeks to Go –

I have seen these Adapter Cables called out – several ways –

(1)-Parallel Printer to USB Adapter
(2)-USB to Parallel Printer Adapter –
(3)-USB to Printer Parallel Port Cable/Converter
(4)-Parallel Printer Port to USB Cable/Converter

Bottom Line is – The description must say – This will connect a parallel printer to a computer’s USB port

You must read the specifications thoroughly & carefully – And to see if your Printer Specification Requirements are met –

Items to look for –

• Plugs into a USB port on your PC or Mac
• Connects to the parallel port on your printer
• Compatible with hundreds of parallel printers Full Plug & Play compatibility
• Draws its power from the USB connection -- a power adapter is not required
• Works with standard Windows printer drivers
• Operating Systems Compatibilities
• USB (Universal Serial Bus) Rev. 1.1 compliant & 2.0 Compliant - Match your USB
• Bi-directional parallel interface communication - Match your Printer Requirement
• Fully compatible with all parallel printers
• Check to see if your Printer’s Manufacturer is listed
• Check if Manufacturer of cable has a – Support Page - or a link for Support -
• Check if Manufacturer has a Link for – Driver Download or Support –

Please Note – That the USB Drivers are found in – The Service Pack – of your Windows Operating System – You may be required to install the – Latest Service Pack -

Visit the FAQ pages of Manufacturers – This will answer most of your questions –

Also visit your Printer’s Manufacturer’s Web Page – They may have your required option -

See Link -
http://www.keyspan.c...c/homepage.spml

http://www.ramelectr...inter_cable.htm

Please Note that these USB to Parallel Port Converters are not compatible to your – All-in-one Units – Not yet as far as I am aware of -

Jack123 -

PC USB Port to Parallel Printer Port Converter Cable -

01_PC_USB_Port_Parallel_Printer_Port_Converter.jpg

Edited by Jack123, 12 February 2007 - 08:55 AM.

lela

lela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

Thank you very very much for your answers.

However, Jack... yikes, please clarify (sorry, I'm not very technical). You had wrote "Please Note that these USB to Parallel Port Converters are not compatible to your – All-in-one Units"

What is an "all-in-one" unit?

Lela

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-lela [Parallel Printer to USB Adapter]-12 FEB-2007

Sorry lela – I just mentioned that in case your printer was one – If it had been – You would have known what I was talking about – I guess I should have used the term – Multi-Function Printer –

Sorry for the confusion – Was just trying to be complete -

What is an "all-in-one" unit?

All-In-One Unit – is a Classification/Type of Printer that has – multi-functions –

(1) Printer
(2) Scanner
(3) Copier
(4) Photo Copier
(5) Memory Card Reader

Jack123

..Multi-Function Printer
01_Multi_Function_Printer.jpg

Edited by Jack123, 12 February 2007 - 05:41 PM.

lela

lela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Jack,

Got it... thank you very very much! Sorry for my dumb questions.

Lela