Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted Games

• Please log in to reply

Quartz

Quartz

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
[font=Arial Narrow][color=#3333FF]

I deleted Hearts & Solitare from my computer by mistake and cannot find my Windows XP disk to reinstall. Any suggestiong? :whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
How did you delete them?

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Went to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs Hardware, then to Add/Remove Windows Componets. Only Intended to remove Internet Games.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Well, browse to c:\windows\system32. Look for these files:

mshearts.exe
sol.exe

I don't know if they will be there or not, after the uninstall. If they are, you can right click them, Send to Desktop (create shortcut), then move the shortcut into c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\games.

If you don't have these files, we'll figure something else out.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Those files most likely will not be there. Do you know anyone that has a Windows XP CD you could borrow to reinstall the games?

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
THANK YOU! IT WORKED & WAS EASY.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have another question please. When I ordered my computer from Dell it came with Windows ME. I purchased Windows XP and upgraded. I have the following folders and wonder if I need ALL of them.

WINDOWS
WINDOWS.000
WINDOWS.001

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Probably not. But before you delete anything, we need to figure out which folder your computer is booting from. Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Settings, Edit. Copy and paste that boot.ini information back into this thread.

When you upgraded, did you install XP into a different folder?

Besides upgrading, did anything else happen? Did you repair or reinstall at any other time?

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
IT has been a long time ago that I upgraded, so I can't say for sure what I did. Seems like I may have made the Windows.001 Folder for a backup for some reason (???) Crazy move. Not sure what I was thinking at the time!

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Since the boot.ini files is booting to C:\Windows, I believe it is safe to delete the windows.000 and windows.001 folders. After deleting them, reboot to be sure Windows still loads without errors. I don't expect that you'll get any. Double check the Recycle Bin. If they are there, empty it. Then defrag C:\. Open My Computer, right click over "Local Disk C:" and choose Properties, Tools, Defrag Now.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What to do is just move the windows.000 and 001 folders somewhere else into another directory and if the machine boots fine and nothing is changed its safe to delete them.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
warriorscot & LindaGail,

Thanks to both of you! I will try it and let you know how it goes. Should free up some space on my computer also, right?

:whistling:

JUST CHECKED THE LIST OF FILES IN ALL 3 FOLDERS & MOST SOME ARE THE SAME, ALTHOUGH I DID NOTICE THAT WINDOWS.000 DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM FILE FOLDER.

Is there a way I can print the lists of what is in each Windows folder to compare on paper?

THANKS AGAIN!

Edited by Quartz, 12 February 2007 - 07:24 PM.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I chose Select All Files, then copy, but can't paste. Tried Notepad & WordPerfect.

Edited by Quartz, 12 February 2007 - 07:59 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
To get a list of the files/folders, click Start, Run.., type in CMD. This will open an MS-DOS box at the folder c:\documents and settings\username>.

Type in CD\ (Change Directory to the Root) and press Enter. This should take you to C:>. Then type in CD Windows (or Windows.000 or Windows.001). This should take you to C:\Windows> (or C:\Windows.000 or C:\Windows.001).

If this is the folder you want the list for, type in DIR >Windows.txt, This will create a text file of the folders and files in C:\Windows. Browse to C:\Windows, find the file you just created (windows.txt), double-click it to open it in Notepad. From here, you should be able to print it.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
LindaGail,

Thanks for the info. I will try this tomorrow when I have more time. If I remember correctly, this is how I used DOS before I had Windows.

Will let you know how it goes and make a donation tomorrow.