Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drives Problem

• Please log in to reply

kws_divine

kws_divine

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Ok well, this has been going on for weeks. My CD and DVD drives would not read any disks and I was getting the error that they might be missing or corrupted in the device manager(code 39).
I came on here, searched for a bit, and found that someone got help from CDgone, the program that is in the download section here.

I downloaded it, used it, it worked. No more errors. Then I restarted my computer, tried CDs in the first drive, it worked fine so I am like yay lol...
Didnt try the DVD drives so I didnt know if it was working or not but I guarantee it was.

Today I try to put a disk in, it doesnt load up. Nor does it come up in my computer.
I try it in the DVD Drive, it works.
Dont forget that in the Device Manager everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

I have a couple of ideas why my CD Drive is not working;

1. It was open, I got up real fast and my knee whacked it out of its place(drive slide, guard). I managed to get the slide back in by just sliding it along the gears and it set itself back in. But no luck with the guard, the spring or something was broken.

2. Since I couldnt manage to get the guard back on, it is not on. Meaning things are probably going to get dusty which is my second reason why I think it is not working.

Do you guys have any idea what is wrong?
P.S. --- I can get pictures up if you need

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
CD drives are much too cheap to try fixing. Please just replace the drive and you then do not have any worrys anymore.

Sony 52X cdrom drive $18 shipped to your door
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827101133

Lite-on DVD/CDrom drive $26 to your door
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106035

I prefer the dvd/cd drives so both types of disks can be read by the computer.

SRX660

kws_divine

kws_divine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Thanks but... I would rather just fix it when its fixable before spending money. I'm trying to save up ATM. If worst comes to worst I will probably buy a new one.