Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted windows file

• Please log in to reply

Rhionin

Rhionin

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
One of my computers has a corrupt hal.dll file in the /system32/ directory. When I first saw this problem, I tried using my Windows XP CD to just repair the current installation. Somehow I managed to add a second installation rather than fixing the first. I left it alone for a while, but have decided to try fixing this problem again. The new problem is that my second installation of XP wasn't registered when I left it, and now the 30 day activation window has expired, so I am left with two installations of windows, one of which has a corrupt system file, the other is unregistered and therefore unusable. To make things worse, I can no longer find the XP CD for that computer.

However, I do have an XP CD for my main computer. Is there any way I can use this one to repair my other installation?

I know this is a lot of information, but please ask me anything if it isn't clear. I would really like to get this computer running and any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Follow these steps here: http://pcsupport.abo...ssinghaldll.htm

You can use any XP CD to perform a repair. You might also be able use any XP CD to install XP from scratch (if it proves necessary) provided you have the original CD Key supplied with the PC you are installing it on (if xp was pre-installed on it, there should be sticker on the system box (maybe underneath) with the CD-key printed on it. I say "might" because I've never actually done it or seen it done. Your pre-installed key issued with that PC may not be valid when used with a regular retail CD. I honestly don't know for sure.

Best way to get rid of the 'expired' second installation is to boot up with any XP CD, then when setup shows you the screen with two partitions both containing Windows, select the 'expired' one and tell setup to delete that partition. When you get Windows up and running, go into Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management and partition/format the unpartitioned space so you can use it for backups or whatever.

Edited by pip22, 11 February 2007 - 02:20 PM.