Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Someone Stealing From Me?

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
My computer wasn't even on and neither was my son's.

Situation:

Satellite (Hughes Net) Internet ..... Fair Access Policy

2 Computers Using a LinkSys WIRED Router. (NOT WIRELESS).

No problems until about 2 days ago, but the final straw was this morning.

Neither computer was online until around 1010am .... yet according to Hughes Net's "Usage" page,
My account downloaded 234.82 MB putting me over my Fair Access Policy Limit.

A. Is there some way to check to see if something WAS downloaded on my computer at that time?

B. Is there ANY way to see what has been downloaded at ANY given time?

C. Is it possible that someone has gained use of my computer? How can I find out?

thanks in advance guys and girls.

dog

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One good place to investigate is your event logs, they will tell you much about what is happening in your machine. I'm assuming, for no very good reason, that you are running XP. Also, if this is common, just shut your machine down when you're not using it to see if the situation improves. Does the machine have any firewall? That can prevent access and also provide you with a log of web activity, including the windows firewall.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Okay, I guess I'm not as experienced as I might wish to be .... where do I find the Event Logs?

Also, today while I was not home, I downloaded 20+ mb per hour ..... there are a number of programs running, but I didn't think they would download stuff.

The programs running are

Webroot Spy Sweeper
Yahoo Messenger with voice
Incredimail
AVG Anti-Virus
Magentic

I don't KNOW of any other programs that are running.

I have the XP Firewall up and running (so that would also answer the question of whether or not I'm using XP).

I have NEVER had this problem before ............. EVER.

dog