Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow startup

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Looks like I'm in need of assistance. :blink:

My new laptop is having a slow startup issue. It appears that everything loads, except Avast and my wireless program. I try clicking on something to open it, and it works fine. However if I try to open Internet Explorer (and a few other things), it refuses to open until Avast and the wireless program finish loading.

I tried removing Avast. Tried disabling unnecessary startup items. Still refuses to open Internet Explorer (and a few other things) for about 5 minutes after displaying the desktop. After that period of time, everything loads just fine, super fast. No problem.

I've used Filemon to see what was going on in the background during this time, and virtually nothing was happening. After a bit, though, svchost.exe did a ton of stuff, then Avast did, and then it was fine. So now I'm wondering why svchost.exe is being delayed in doing what it's got to do.

I'm hoping it is a recent update from MS that is buggy, or something like that...

Any ideas? :whistling:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Nevermind. I fixed it. Did a system restore to 2 months ago. Before I noticed the problem start.

Think it was indeed a MS update. Turning off Automatic updates now... :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Haha I hope I don't download a bad update.

Glad you solved it :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
not necessarily a "bad" update per say. But one that conflicts with one or more of the software installed on my laptop for sure.

I tend to tell people, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Same applies with updating programs or device drivers, do it only if needed. Of course as far as Windows updates go, they are important because of security reasons. But in my case, I don't really have to worry about it. And now, Windows will be yet another thing I don't update...until I need it to fix something. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 11 February 2007 - 04:31 PM.

pyrocajun2707

pyrocajun2707

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Nevermind. I fixed it. Did a system restore to 2 months ago. Before I noticed the problem start.

Think it was indeed a MS update. Turning off Automatic updates now... :whistling:

Which of your 5 laptops did this? XD

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Talk about resurrecting a dead post :blink:

This was my brand new laptop that did this. Darn windows update slowed the boot to a crawl. Not updating it anymore. :whistling: