Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Video card screws up my monitor

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I installed a new video card (Radeon PowerColor 9600 Pro) to be able to run MS Flight Sim X. I also installed 1GB of RAM to boost the 256MB that was already in it. When I first tried to install the card, it said that the resolution was set too high on the monitor. The monitor is a standard CRT. I changed the resolution and installed again. Everything is loaded now but when I turn the computer on it doesn't display anything on the monitor. I do have the monitor plugged into the video card.
Does this type of game or the video card require a new flat panel monitor that has better resolution? :whistling:

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
First off, good luck with getting a 9600 to play Flight Sim X...

Now for your problem. Did you have a different video card before, or onboard video?

If you had onboard video, plug your monitor back into that, and go to BIOS (press F2, Del, Esc, or F10 to get into BIOS during boot-up. It's usually one of those, but it depends on your motherboard. check your manual.) and change the setting for the Primary Display Adapter (or something like that) from onboard to whatever slot your 9600 is in (probably PCI or AGP).