Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lost data while upgrading to Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

diego_in5

diego_in5

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried to upgrade my laptop (primary PC) to vista the other day. After running through the compatibility check (took a VERY long time as I have a lot of stuff installed on this box), it said I needed to uninstall Sharepoint Services. The problem is, I can't find where I have sharepoint services installed. It doesn't show up in the Add/Remove Programs list, there's no mention of it in my start menu, and the stsadm command mentioned here doesn't exist on my system.

The only mention I was able to find of Sharepoint services was under Office. It had Sharepoint Services Support installed. Uninstalling that didn't help, though. The other bizarre thing is the upgrade advisor said I was good to go. When I run setup from the DVD, it says I have to uninstall Sharepoint Services. Now guess what, this was not the only thing Next time when I boot my system it did not turn on. I Tried every possible thing but I guess I’ve lost my all data. Please tell me what I can do suggest a place where I can find the solution.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Well, I would have thought the G2G forum-room dedicated to Windows Vista would be more likely to be able to help you with that, don't you? I would post problem in there. I don't have sufficient authority to move it for you.

Edited by pip22, 12 February 2007 - 02:27 AM.

jake_us9

jake_us9

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi
Sounds Similar Problems. I tried to upgrade to Windows Vista this past weekend and accidentally formatted and erased my entire hard drive in the process. Called Microsoft tech support and realized the mistake I had made. I thought I had lost all of my files until I found SalvageRecovery a data recovery software made by a SalvageData Labs and their guys helped to walk me though restoring all of my old files. May be you can think of trying it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no direct upgrade route To Vista when you boot off the Vista DVD, it will only let you wipe the drive.