Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardrive failing

• Please log in to reply

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
After some time and patients my C:/ has finally packed up, i was getting clicking noises the the comp would freeze then i'd get the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, with a suspended read error. But on saturday, i got a different Blue Screen, this time it was something to with the KERNEL. When i restarted it came up asking for a bootable media! i swapped my two hardrives over, and the broken drive can be seen by windows and accessed, wrote to etc, but sometimes it locks up and if i'm watching some of my recorded tv(sroed on that drive) it stutters then goes into a audio loop!

Does it sound like its a complete dead drive?

does anyone know how long the manufacturers warrenty on harddrives are?

Thanks again!

Edited by glen_m_32, 12 February 2007 - 03:26 AM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
The clicking sound is the time on the on he hard drive "running out"
When a hard drive is ticking it means the something is not moving like is supposed to, and u need to back up you'r data.
U can use a hard drive till it dies but it is not reliable any more.
Thw warenty is usually 1 yr and in some cases u pay extra and get 3 yr so check what u have.
good luck

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There are two things to consider here: The age of the drive and how the drive was originally bought.

Most drives are offered with three year warranty, but this doesn't apply if you bought it OEM (that is, you bought the drive on its own without cables). If you buy it OEM, you usually get no help from Seagate or whoever, you're supposed to warranty replace it from where you bought the OEM drive originally and warranties then are either statutory ones or shop policy ones, typically 12 months.

Therefore it follows that if the drive is more than about four years old and is on the way out, its better to buy a new one (which is almost certainly guaranteed to be at least twice the size for the same price you paid) than argue over an old drive.

In your case, get everything that's important off that drive and throw it away before it packs up altogether.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
that just confirms my suspissions. Suppose i'll start hunting for a new drive, maybe go bigger :whistling: bigger is better!

Can i ask, how does SATA work, because on my MoBo i have 4 ports, 2 red and 2 black, at the mo, c: is in one of the black ports and d: is in the red! they do not work any other way round tho, any ideas what they are all for?

i've had my HD 1 year 2 months, what a bugger! and the drive came with the computer, but the warrenty on the system has run out!

Edited by glen_m_32, 12 February 2007 - 04:03 AM.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
do you think that this harddrive will work with my system?

http://www.aria.co.u...productId=24793

or is this one better?

http://www.aria.co.u...productId=23636

Edited by glen_m_32, 12 February 2007 - 04:53 AM.