Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating my bios gives me CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR every time and thereafte

• Please log in to reply

bada55

bada55

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi

Ok I have checked the forums everywhere and from what I have understood so far is that it is normal to get the CMOS checksum error after updating the BIOS and I am supposed to immediately make changes in the BIOS and save it for everything to be ok.

If this is true I haven't a clue what to change. When the pc starts up it recognises exactly the correct XP2400 which was the idea for the update but I assume there are other settings within the bios that may be incorrect?

When I do manage to get into windows the fault in system manager is reported as my bios is trying to write to a secure address or something like that.

Has anyone any ideas as to what is best to do?

If I leave the update and continue with old bios everything is stable and it reads the cpu as an Athlon 2000Mhz but no model number. So should I leave well alone and not worry?

All my games seem to work fine but the reason for the new CPU to be able to play Oblivion and every time it is started it says Oblivion needs to close. Tell microsoft about this?

I assumed that it may be that the MB does not recognise the cpu sufficiently enough to work the game?
Just a thought :whistling: Thanks for reading :blink:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds like you had virus scanning or something else that was preventing the BIOS from writing to the flash memory. Normally the flash memory is part of the protected memory and the protection needs to be disabled for the BIOs to flash properly. I would say re-read the instructions very very carefully and make sure you follow them to the letter and take no shortcuts and have the correct version of BIOS.