Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TV tuner that can record from Satellite signal.

• Please log in to reply

lancebass

lancebass

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Is there a Tuner that can handle a Satellite signal?? I am having problems getting any computer tuners to do this. I beleive the signal is digital, I also have HD channels from the Satellite that I would like to be able to record.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hmm.... well I use Compro TV Tuner, but I'd recommend Hauppage(spelling is close). I record things off my satellite quite a bit, but I just run cords through the receiver to my computer. I don't actually plug the signal straight into the tuner. Sry I can't be more helpful

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hmm.... well I use Compro TV Tuner, but I'd recommend Hauppage(spelling is close). I record things off my satellite quite a bit, but I just run cords through the receiver to my computer. I don't actually plug the signal straight into the tuner. Sry I can't be more helpful

That is fine also, I dont mind running the cord to the satellite box then my computer. What model is your Compro?? I just bought this Hauppauge and it did not work for me.

http://www.hauppauge...ta_hvr1300.html

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well because of some of the little annoyances I've had with Compro I would recommend something else.

Take your pick of which one ya want for your situation...
http://www.tigerdire....asp?CatId=1423

My Setup:
Internal PCI Compro Tuner(pretty old doubt they still have my version)
50 ft S-video cable
25 ft Audio cable(RCA to 3.5mm plug, reciever to motherboard)

I'm actually really surprised the Hauppauge didn't work for you because they seem to make pretty good stuff.
Sry it took so long for me to post, I was away from my computer for awhile.
Hope ya can find something that works for you. :whistling:

Edited by Bobbydoo8, 12 February 2007 - 11:25 PM.

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Do you have to use S-cable? I was just plugging it in from the coax cable out of the back of my satellite box before scanning for stations. Also when doing this if from s-cable do you unplug the box from your tv? And one more question, to you have to turn the satellite box on when scanning for channels and when watching/recording?

I might be doing something wrong. Also I originally said I have the hauppauge 1300, I actually have the 1600.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Good questions there...let me try and make sure I answer them all.......

1. No, You can use coaxial or rca cables just depends on the tuner that you bought to how it needs to be plugged in...notice tho, the picture will not be as clear using coaxial compared to s-video. Since you have hi-def channels, I would spend the extra money and go ahead with the s-video, but also realize sound doesn't come through s-video. Also check to make sure the Hauppage has a port for s-video...
So if you're wanting to spend more money, check links:

S-video
http://www.tigerdire...e...6&CatId=451
Audio cable(Need line in port on your motherboard)
http://www.tigerdire...e...0&CatId=449

With the combination above I've discovered many uses for it. I can play on my computer on the TV, listen to music in another room, watch/record TV all with hi-def.

2. Coaxial Method:::
Satelitte receiver must be turned on because it would be just like watching TV whenever you go through your tuner on your computer to watch it.

So Reciever ON....Should be a coaxial out to TV make sure you did plug that into your Hauppage tuner. Then scan channels and it should find the satellite on channel 3...(might be different, but every receiver I've used it finds it on channel 3)

3. Depending on your satellite receiver, we use rca cables from receiver to TV, s-video to computer. Then to get the sound I plug it into the TV output audio. If you don't want the TV on while doing this Red and White rca cables unplug and then plug in the audio cables.

Wrapping it up:
Sorry I typed up so much there's just so many possibilities, and so many variables :blink:. If you don't like what I suggested just look around Tigerdirect for cables.

Also in your current situation you should be able to watch/record TV with your coaxial cable. Reciever ON, scan channels and your good to go.

Wow that was a lot, hope ya get it figured out, plz post back if ya get it... :whistling:

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the into!! The more input the better!

I will have to try all of these things when I get home.

When I ran the scan (with coax) it only detected one channel. So I could only view one channel. I didnt think maybe I need to change the channels on my satellite box to recieve the other ones. I just figured it would detect all of them on my computer.

By using coax I should be able to recieve sound right? My satellite box is in another room and running cables to it would probably be a nightmare so I was hoping to just plug it into the outlet like the TV is currently plugged in.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Yes with coaxial you'll also get sound. Yeah so whenever you scan the channels with your tuner you will only get the one channel(channel 3) meaning that yes unfortunately you will have to change channels on the satelitte receiver to view different channels.

Also I just recommended the s-video solution because of hi-def channels and if you want to watch the vcr for some reason it doesn't work well unless using s-video.

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
One more question, I think you already answered but I want to make sure. So if I am going from my HD Satellite box to my TV with Component cables I can also plug my computer into the s-cable output - at the same time? I believe you said you have both of yours plugged in at the same time. Will this affect the video output quality since now the satellite box is providing video to two separate locations?

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
No having them both plugged in shouldn't lower the video output quality because on my receiver(not hi-def) doesn't lower the quality.

And yes, I do have s-video and rca cables plugged into and the picture quality is the same.